HCFA 1200 (02-12) ICD ind in box 21 reads “9” even though I’m using ICD-10 now

This box should be printing a zero,

Shut down your XAMPP server and the manager-osx program. Yes, I’m using a mac.

Open the file in XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/openemr/library/gen_hcfa_1500_02_12.inc.php in TextEdit.

Scroll down to the sequence that reads as follows:

$hcfa_entries=array();
$diags = $claim->diagArray(false);
if($claim->diagtype=='ICD10')
{
   $icd_indicator='0';
}
else
{
    $icd_indicator='9';
}
}

I’m not sure where I need to go to check to see whether or not my $claim->diagtype is set to ==‘ICD10’. But the quick and dirty solution (since none of us are printing HCFA’s with ICD-9 codes any more, is to edit this file in Text Edit by copying the =‘0’; and replace the =‘9’; by selecting it and pasting in a =‘0’;

Save the file, restart XAMPP, and feel the love.

[WATCH OUT! In text edit you’ll see that the single quotes used in the code are vertical, not curved. If you type this in instead of copy and pasting it, or if you skip copying the semicolon and type it in after the =‘9’ then Text Edit will take the liberty of changing your =‘0’; to a =‘0’, with cute curved single quotes. You may not be able to see the difference with the print this small in your browser, but there is a difference. It’s prettier typography, but PHP code doesn’t like those curved single quotes (a different character set), and will print a ? instead of a 0 in the ICD_ind space, making you tear your hair. Go figure.]

Hi sourdoughpablo,

We did check with openemr 5.0 stable version and it works fine for us.
It would be better if we get the version of your openemr .
Also share your screen shot about the issue .

Note:

Please make sure that the corresponding fee sheet having ICD10 instead of ICD9 code.

Visolve

Yes. The fee sheet is loading ICD-10 codes. I’m using a new installation (not an upgrade from 4.2.2) of XAMPP 5.6.30-0 for OSX, with openemr-5.0.0 windows package, running on a 2015 Mac mini under a fresh installation of OSX 10.11.6.

I don’t know why it wasn’t working, but the above procedure did solve the problem for me.