Adding support for UCUM would be beneficial in terms of FHIR support(as many resources use it as a codeset) and a MAR(Medication Administration Record)
See FHIR resource for Medication Administration:
Take a look at this example:
It uses NDC(National Drug Code directory) to identify the drug, instead of RxNorm. NDC is managed by the FDA so it may be more US specific than RxNorm.
You can download a table, I believe updated daily, from this site here.
You can also download it here:
I got the ndc xls version, the text file might have been better. Not sure how it’s delineated. Once you unzip the file you see a package and product xls file.
If you go to the search the directory page here:
It points out that there’s a new API.
Here’s a list of currently supported searchable fields:
I think at least for now we should just need product_ndc
Let’s try building an API query and running it in our browser.
Let’s use the NDC code from the example FHIR .json file.
0206-8862-02 this should be piperacillin.
Putting together a super basic query we should get:
Okay, that didn’t work because I had a typo in the above and replaced the / between drug and ndc with a .
After correcting the typo I got a new error:
I tried removing the hyphens and still got the same error.
Let’s try a different one:
Maybe it’s supposed to be the package_ndc but that didn’t work either.
When I look it up using this site it works.
Also apparently there are a number of openFDA apps available.