Google Season of Docs Project Ideas

Google Season of Docs 2023 application period is open :open_hands: ; here’s the timeline and can find other information at the site.

An interested techincal writer has reached out so we’re going to use this thread to come up with some projects for Google Season of Docs 2023.

Stay tuned…

Hi everyone!

My name is Elizabeth Laughlin and I’m excited about partnering with the OpenEMR community for Google Season of Docs (SoD) 2023. I’ve been looking for documentation opportunities in the Forum, GitHub, Wiki, and instructional videos and have a few ideas so far:

1. Add screenshots/examples to existing documentation to increase readability
    Example: Need Active Directory docs · Issue #972 · openemr/openemr · GitHub
      Shoutout to @brady.miller!
  2. Create friction logs for existing documentation to identify areas for improvement, such as better search engine optimization
  3. Write a User Guide and/or other documentation for version 7.0.0
    Example: OpenEMR 7.0.0 Users Guide - OpenEMR Project Wiki
  4. Audit existing documentation and remove old versions from the Wiki
    Example: Find Procedure Order pop-up not working - #2 by htuck
      Shoutout to @htuck!
  5. Create a Tips & Tricks guide with resolutions for common user issues
    Example: Don’t have node services running when making changes or updates to the
      Consolidated Clinical Document Architecture (C-CDA) service
    Source: OpenEMR Lecture Series: C-CDA and OpenEMR - Everything you need to know - YouTube
      Shoutout to @sjpadgett!

If any of these jump out to you, or if you have others you’d like to add, please reply below!

4 Likes

Hi @elaughlin
Welcome to the OpenEMR community and especially the documentation realm of it. As I’m sure you’ve seen, OpenEMR docs have a lot of good info in them but still can use plenty of help.

I have been writing user docs for the wiki for quite a while even though I am nothing resembling an official documentarian. But I’m happy to be a resource to you if you have any questions I’m qualified to answer.

You have some v cool ideas for potential projects; I think my fave is the tips and tricks guide. I’d caution you about removing old documentation, though, since in many cases some capability of the EMR has not changed since it was introduced, like back in v4.2, and the v4.2 docs are the only place it’s documented. In many cases updating a workflow doc for v7 would only change the screenshots; sometimes re-writing the docs are worth the effort, sometimes it might not be.

Good luck with your work here, can’t wait to see your new content!
Best- Harley

2 Likes

Thank you for the warm welcome, @htuck! :wave:

I appreciate your offer to help and will definitely take you up on it. The amount of documentation on the wiki is as exciting as it is daunting. I anticipate a lot of wiki questions in my future!

Yay, one vote for #5! I’m grateful for the caution about removing old documentation. I’ll amend that idea to moving older documentation to an appendix and focus my attention elsewhere. Good to know that documentation for v7 would mostly involve screenshot changes. I’m not sure that would be the best value add either.

Your well wishes are much appreciated. I can’t wait to help out where I can!

2 Likes

Hi @elaughlin, I’m redirecting from here & I’d love to contribute to Project #1.

I love contributing to open-source projects. OpenEMR is used by thousands of healthcare providers and patients worldwide, and I am eager to contribute to a project that has such a significant impact on people’s lives. I believe that I will not only be contributing to a meaningful project but also be gaining valuable experience in a rapidly growing field, & that’s one of the reasons why OpenEMR caught my eye.

My background includes several years of experience in technical writing, specifically in the areas of software documentation, API reference materials, tutorials, and user guides. I adore spending time on the web & have experience in web development, specifically in building and designing websites that are user-friendly and accessible. I have worked with a variety of programming languages and tools, including JavaScript, Python, GraphQL, Docker, Markdown, Docusaurus & Git, and I am confident that I can quickly learn any new technologies required for the project.

I’d be highly obliged if you can guide me further. Additionally, I’ve started preparing a proposal (on google docs) for the aforementioned & I’ll share it with you for review.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your interest in Project 1! Unfortunately, the Google Season of Docs (GSoD) proposal has already been submitted, with a scope that doesn’t include Project 1. I wish I could help more, but I’m not the best contact for further guidance. If you’re interested in pursuing this project outside of the GSoD program, @stephenwaite is a better contact.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! @elaughlin
I’m looking forward to it :smiley:

1 Like

@stephenwaite I want to contribute to Project 1 outside of the GSOD’23 program. Would you mind guiding me further?