Globals and mySQL issues

Situation
I have installed PHP 7.1 from source on Raspbian Stretch, which I am attempting to document. I get through all the steps to set up the database and server without incident, but when I go to log in, I only get the following error messages:

Notice: Undefined index: temp_skip_translations in /home/aaron/openemr/library/translation.inc.php on line 15

Notice: Undefined index: temp_skip_translations in /home/aaron/openemr/library/translation.inc.php on line 15

Fatal error: Uncaught PDOException: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2002] No such file or directory in /home/aaron/openemr/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOConnection.php:27 Stack trace: #0 /home/aaron/openemr/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOConnection.php(27): PDO->__construct('mysql:host=loca...', 'openemr', '{password}', Array) #1 /home/aaron/openemr/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/PDOMySql/Driver.php(25): Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDOConnection->__construct('mysql:host=loca...', 'openemr', '{password}', Array) #2 /home/aaron/openemr/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Connection.php(356): Doctrine\DBAL\Driver\PDOMySql\Driver->connect(Array, 'openemr', 'sTRETCHtHEcAT', Array) #3 /home/aaron/openemr/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Connection.php(420): Doctrine\DBAL\Connection->connect() #4 /home/aaron/openemr/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Connection.php(380): Doctrine\DBAL\Connection->getDatabasePlatformVersion() #5 /home/aaron/openemr/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine in /home/aaron/openemr/vendor/doctrine/dbal/lib/Doctrine/DBAL/Driver/AbstractMySQLDriver.php on line 93

Somehow it seems like the globals have not been set up, and my MySQL driver, which was able to create the database and users, is failing for reasons that aren’t completely clear to me.

I do have a working openemr installation that I set up successfully on another server using an external php repository (ondrej/php) and am happy to continue to troubleshoot the difference between this installation and that one, but if anyone has any insight, I’d appreciate hearing from you.

OpenEMR Version
I’m using OpenEMR version git master

Browser:
I’m using: Firefox

Operating System
I’m using: Raspbian Stretch

Logs
I couldn’t find anything in the logs.

Thanks,
Aaron

I’ve never tried to run OpenEMR on Raspbian, but this should still be relevant:

https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Composer_and_NPM

Thanks for responding. I’m pretty sure that the issue is that Raspbian is based on Debian which has a lot of lag between cutting edge and stable. This is great when you want a super stable system, but can be an issue when you want to install the latest version of things. The current version of Debian, Stretch, is coming to its end of life, and the next version should be released sometime later this year, which should handle all the new requirements. This will probably take an additional 6 months to trickle down into Raspbian.

It is also possible to install a rolling release like Arch or SUSE Tumbleweed but they are not as well documented as Raspbian.

I’m sure the documentation will be helpful when I have a chance to revisit this.

Thanks,
Aaron

If it is fresh install not meant for production, why not start with 4.2.0 or any of the older tags, test and keep rolling forward till it breaks. As a bonus, after initial db load you can do the sql_upgrade to save time and your test data.