File Attachments and PWK

I’m diving into the realm of workers comp and personal injury claims. I was looking at how the edi was built and I see a comment that the PWK is omitted. Does anybody send the PWK currently and attachments?

I have an idea of how I think it should work; assuming there is no code today to add pwk’s and such. I’m picturing a new table. Lets call it Encounter_Attachments. This links all the attachments to the encounter.
On the encounter screen the user attaches the attachment. Then at that time selects the report type code (there is a lot to choose from).
Then has the ability to change the transmission code. This would get defaulted from the payer record and possibly a global option that is picked if nothing is selected for the payer. Who wants to go change all those records right? The transmission code tells how the attachment is being sent “fax, electronic, etc”.
After that an attachment control number is automatically generated but shown to the user before save. I guess they could change it if they want to. Not sure on that one.
The table would also have file location of the attachment.

Now when the edi is created, it calls a method to see if attachments are linked to the encounter/claim and creates the PWK segments with those options. We can have up to 10 attachments.

Claim now goes out normally.

Finally, my module reads that table, sees attachments and I guess a status column that determines if the file needs sent. Then uploads file and identification numbers to me and I create the relevant EDI.

Could this all be done in a module? what happens in the edi generation if the module isn’t there? can the system check for module then execute the proper code? Or does all the main stuff need to be in core and active all the time?

1 Like

@brady.miller @stephenwaite @sjpadgett @juggernautsei

FHIR could be an option too?

Issues related to the signatures of progress reports/attachments would also have to be addressed.

Alternatively, installation of the module could turn it on in core?

I know that OpenEMR is being used in workers compensation instances, is anyone sending claims with attachments by any chance?

Comments appreciated!

Sandra

I know a DME company. I will ask them and let you know if they do or not.
They do not send attachments with their claims.

Are there any other questions you have for DME?

2 Likes