EMR Access Problems after upgrade to 5.0.0

I am confused. Not that that is anything new, but I have had a customized 

but functional version of OEMR running for a few years now. It has survived several
version upgrades up to 4.2.2 without problems, although I have had to modify
some of my customizations from time to time. The upgrade to 5.0.0 and subsequent
Patch 1 are stumping me however. I have OEMR installed on an Ubuntu Linux
16.04 LTS server. My workstations are a variety of Windows and Mac machines,
although I do most of my experimentation on my Mac with with a similar Linux virtual
machine (Parallels) running on it. In any event, I though that everything was running
fine after the upgrade and patch but almost immediately my staff (running Windows 7 and accessing OEMR through a Firefox browser) noted that when creating a new patient the
“Create New Patient” button at the bottom of the data entry page wouldn’t work (it
appears to click but nothing happens - the page doesn’t close and no data is saved).
I immediately reverted to my old functional copy of 4.2.2 and began experimenting.
What I have discovered follows.
After duplicating the upgraded 5.0.0 installation on my testbed virtual server it
appears that when accessing it from my Mac via Firefox the create new patient
functionality remains inoperative. Notwithstanding this, if I access OEMR through
either Safari or Chrome everything appears to work fine (so it would appear that the
problem may not even be on the server side).
When accessing the EMR from a Windows machine, I can create patients in both
Firefox and Chrome, however Internet Explorer doesn’t appear to work, failing in
essentially the same fashion that Firefox does on my Mac.
Any ideas? It wouldn’t kill me to change all the machines over to using Chrome
but I don’t necessarily want to end up with all my eggs in one basket. What if that
stops working?

1 Like

hi, try clearing the cache on the client computers, for firefox go to settings and choose preferences->advanced->network and clear the cached web content

i think firefox remembers some of the way the buttons used to work which interferes with v5.0.0

Thanks, at least that works with Firefox on my Mac client. I don’t really care if Internet Explorer doesn’t work as I don’t really use it anyhow. Now my only residual problem is that the custom forms I’ve generated with xmlformgen don’t seem to save their data either, and this doesn’t seem to be solved simply by clearing the cache. Does anyone have any ideas if xmlformgen forms no longer will work with 5.0.x and beyond?

1 Like

Hi,

If you haven’t modified the forms at all after creating them with xmlformgen, then recommend creating them again with xmlformgen and should then work. If unable to do that, then another fix for this is illustrated here(look at bottom of the thread):

-brady

Wonderful. Works like a dream. Thanks for you help. I had sort of suspected there might have been a broken link or dead reference or something but hadn’t had time to track it down yet. For what it’s worth solving the issue by simply editing the references in the new.php, show.php and view.php files seems more definitive than having to reinsert a copy of jquery.js into library/js every time I update. I had severely customized the original xmlformgen files and completely re-doing them wasn’t something I really wanted to delve into. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi Brady,

Would we overwrite the old form files or rename the form template before compiling in xmlformgen?

Hi @petersmm ,
You will basically recompile and then replace the old form files with the new form files(ie. rewrite them).
-brady

1 Like

I had exactly the same problem and I found that the reason was that every single field on the Insurance forms - which appear when you check the Insurance checkbox - were set as required in the HTML generated by /interface/new/new_comprehensive.php (they are not set as required in Administration -> Layouts, nor is there even any option to change UOR - usused/optional/required/ - there).

I edited the HTML on new_comprehensive.php to replace the ‘required’ class on all the form fields with the non-existent class ‘is-not-required’ and everything is humming along now. (I also noticed that sometimes the HTML is written as "class=required’ and other times as ‘class=“required”’).

I did all my testing with Chrome and had the issue with Chrome, but you said you had no issues with Chrome. I would be interested in any update on your issue.

check out reply regarding this here: