Duckdns.org is it safe?

Is duckdns.org safe to use to handle the Dynamic changes of IP address if the Let’s Encrypt is used on on-premise hosted openemr?
Can it interfere with Weno services?

Any help with this question since this could be a solution for local hosting with ever changing IP address , any reason to avoid it if nginx is hardened as per openemr securing wiki recommendation:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-unix-bsd-nginx-webserver-security.html

and duckdns handles the changes of IP address?

did any one use it?

I set my test/demo server up with a dynamic IP using something like this link below. I’ll say this, I’m not sure I would do a dynamic IP on a production system (with real data). I like the idea of locking down the IP and knowing that IP is mine. Just in case something weird happens… Some weird IP spoof. I don’t know. I personally wouldn’t do it. At least on google cloud the IP’s are cheap enough to get one. Then my personal ISP gave me one for $20. That was a little steep but I still paid it. I’m able to lock down my cloud connections to my IP. It helps secure things better.

when you said personal ISP gave you an IP for 20$ did you mean static IP? in my area in Michigan the static IP is around 150$/month with 12 month contract and only for business….!.. they will lease you the router for 20$ a month and will not accept working on the router you have. It is a ripoff . Since I was having my business registered to my home that was the only way for them to accept giving my static IP for that crazy cost.

wow! that is expensive! My first ISP charged $5 a month. It was DSL. I switched over to a different ISP so I could have fiber and they charged $20 a month for the static. (Free modem and router too :slight_smile: ) There service was slightly less than the DSL provider, so after static IP it cost me like $10 more than I was paying. So… $80 a month for 100mb fiber.

I know nothing about duckdns, but I was impressed with how easy it was to setup dynamic dns using google domains. Like I said, I’d kinda be concerned about security… but of course it’s up to you and if it’s an acceptable (if any) risk. Maybe do some internet searching and see what is said about cyber security and dynamic dns… Then use that to make your decision.

That is why I am posting my question here to see if there is a way around this extortion by ISP in my area, this is simply insane, and I do not want to deal with AWS for hosting openemr cloud , I had enough bad experience with AWS form a much much simpler S3 static website hosting, a freaking bucket /API /Lambda …cost me pulling half of my hair to get it going.

When I was setting up my clearinghouse on the cloud, I decided that Azure was to expensive. I tried AWS for a day. I spent all day setting up a linux server and after 8 hours of trying the system turned on with an error. I don’t know what I did wrong but I didn’t want to waste my time with that. I ended up on google cloud. At the time I was running a single linux sql server and a windows 2016 vm. I later decided (I think when the technology came available) to go serverless. So now that windows vm only runs during the day. It costs to much to run it 24/7. The linux vm still runs 24/7 but it’s cheap. and I have a small cheap to run wordpress front end site.

Everything else runs in the serverless containers and costs me next to nothing to run. The only really big issue I have with it it takes a few seconds for my portal to come alive when it hasn’t been in use.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to run openEmr over on the serverless area but haven’t gotten very far (or tried hard) I would need to have a mysql server running constantly and I think a couchDB server running as well. I think those 2 servers alone would probably be about $25-$30 each. I considered mounting a bucket for file storage, but the price to move in and out of the bucket concerned me. It’s probably cheaper than an additional server so I might look into it again when I have time. Just to say I did it.

If you serve the bucket with API / Lambda / POST method combination AWS gives you a leeway , my static website serves my contact form and my email for 6$ /month. not bad … but traffic is not bad too…for files do not contain images nor media I would think it should not be bad, actually they use the S3 buckets for storage on openemr AWS if I am not mistaken.

I would like to know if duckdns/Nginx is acceptable combo to serve on premises factoring in taking the hardening measures for Nginx suggested in openemr wiki, but Duckdns…? I did not find in the search on the forum any info about it, I hope to get an answer here.

Brad , off the subject and we can move it to another thread if deemed fit, did you succeed in getting openemr /Availity integration that started in this thread:

Availity is becoming the one stop to go to in Michigan especially after Molina is moving to it and all its portals are now Availity by mid March 2023?

I wrote my own clearinghouse along with a module that integrates with openEMR. The module will upload 837 using my rest api and download the 999/277. I’m still trying to figure out how to auto post 835’s, if I can figure that out or it becomes possible, I’ll make the module do that too. Oh it also does real-time eligibility checks.

That is awesome, plz keep me in the loop if you succeed. wish you the best.
I hope I get an answer on duckdns.

FWIW I used DuckDNS for several years without any (known) problems. I retired 5 months ago, however, so I can’t give you any more timely advice than that. Good luck.

That is exactly why I am posting the question here , it is what you said " without any (known) problems"
Seasoned people here can tell me if it is safe or they see a risk I should avoid.