Drug-drug interaction check

juggernautsei wrote on Monday, October 03, 2016:

In the process of building the Weno interface into the native Rx form. There was a need to build a drug-drug interaction feature. So here is the pull request for the feature add.

It uses the NLM json call and RxNorm table. The increase in the size of the rx_modal is to accomodate more features that are to come. Trying to release a little bit at a time.

Now, the rest of the story. @brady.miller @robert.down @MatthewVita @sjpadgett.
The drug-drug check in the native interface is what I am attempting to do next. But I have a question about planning since I don’t have an overview of the program such as you all do.

I was planning to recreate the drug-drug.php that is in the Weno folder to a drug-drug_fragment.php. Then, include that fragment at the head of the drug list so that it can display in the page.

Since the list of drugs is passed to the nlm.nil.gov/REST then the information passed back.
I was also thinking of possibly switching gears altogether and process the information in the page using smarty. Which method of getting the data on the page would be cleaner or preferred.

The reason for the pickup in Weno development is that Weno will be rolling out ECPS early 2019. There will be a charge and there has to be credentialing.

Reached out to another company about the drug-allergy data. I will update when they reply.

Side note the drug-drug interaction is missing severity information. That is what they cut out from the free information. The cost is high to get connected with them. The are only accepting clients that are going to be producing 100k queries a day. And they don’t allow resellers as of my conversation with them two years ago. I will check again to see what their business model is now.

A perfect time to look over my new Http Rest Client. It will do the credentials and gets in one or two lines of code. Also, it is always best to keep the view stuff with the view i.e smarty is already done.

1 Like

@sjpadgett Are you writing an entire HTTP rest client?

I know I’ve mentioned this in the past, that kind of low level stuff is best suited for the modular-based frameworks (Symfony and Zend are already in the project). I believe Symfony uses Guzzle. My general position is leave the low-level stuff for the framework devs or people closer to the HTTP spec and focus more on OpenEMR-stuff. We are the experts in EMR, why not just focus on that and let the low-level stuff be handled by experts in that area?

I haven’t been able to keep up with the FHIR development as much as I’d like, but I imagine there’s a similar thread there.

For instance, instead of creating an event dispatcher I just pulled in Symfony’s - it handles all the complicated stuff and I can just build the cool EMR stuff on top of it.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record.

@sjpadgett we need to have a deeper conversation.

What about? If it is about Symfony, i’m not interested.

@sjpadgett no, your comment that I thought was to me saying perfect timing. Not sure how the REST your developing fits into what I am doing. We would need to have a deeper conversation about how it fits into what you are doing. Seems to me we are on different paths.

No, I was thinking if you were going to be looking to do credentials with other Rest interfaces, then you may need OAuth. I was looking for the chance to do a different grant type besides Password. Maybe not what you’re doing.

I will circle back to this conversation when I have more details on the credentialing the doctors are going to have done for ecps.

Here is a preliminary look at how the DDI will work in the interface.

If you wanted you could add a bg-warning BS class to the container div/span to highlight the interactions. Also, hopefully the dialog should auto resize to content. Is that the case here i.e didn’t have to change the dialog setup for new size.

@sjpadgett

Take a peek at the code and let me know what I should do next.
I need someone with real drug knowledge to test it.
Why would the content need to auto resize?

lol, What makes you think I have real drug knowledge? It’s because i’m old and have to take alot of drugs, isn’t it! Isn’t that Ageism:)
The dialog should automatically resize height when content changes (interactions list is added) until full screen height is reached. It was a feature I added to dialog and this is a use case it was meant. Just checking it was working.
I’ll look at code to see where you could add highlighting the interactions list but this is a great feature. thanks

1 Like

I’ll pull down the branch and test it. I am a professional pill dispenser, after all.

@sjpadgett
I see how you read what I wrote but no Agism intended -)8

@robert.down thanks for testing when you get around to it. What I am looking for in testing are two drugs you know interact and does the API bring that information back to the screen.
I would like to see a screenshot because I think I need to reformat the data that is on the screen.