Difficulty with Mac OSX OpenEMR install

I’m trying to install XAMPP and OpenEMR on a Mac running OSX 10.11.6.

I’m using the instructions on http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/XAMPP_and_OpenEMR_Installation_in_OS_X, with the XAMPP 5.6.30-0, and OpenEMR 5.0.0 packages.

I created a new user on the computer to do a fresh install. OpenEMR 4.2.2 was previously installed on a different User Account, and has been deleted from that account using the uninstall app

I’ve got the XAMPP Apache server running, and can log onto PHPMyAdmin.

When I try to configure OpenEMR by logging onto http://localhost/openemr as per above instructions, I tell the system to setup the database on the Step 1 page.

I enter the passwords in on the Step 2 page. I’m using the same passwords I did with the previous installs, because deleting the previous installation doesn’t seem to have deleted the mysql root password.

I then click continue, and get this message:

OpenEMR Setup

Step 3

Configuring OpenEMR…

Connecting to MySQL Server…
Warning: mysqli_connect(): (HY000/1045): Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: YES) in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/openemr/library/classes/Installer.class.php on line 502
ERROR. Check your login credentials. unable to connect to database as root

===

Now, I don’t know why the user is trying to use the password: YES instead of the password that I entered in step 2. But I can’t seem to get past this point.

Hi @sourdoughpablo ,

This message usually either means 1 of 2 things:

1. mysql service is not turned on
  2. you are not entering the correct mysql root password

I would ensure not from above issues first.

-brady
OpenEMR

I was pretty sure I knew the root password. But no joy. So I did a fresh install of OSX 10.11.6 on a new partition, booted from that, and installed the package on that setup, leaving the mysql root password blank on step 2.

I still was getting error messages on the step three page (i.e.“can’t install the database, database already installed, etc., etc.”). But then I considered that my Safari browser was interrupting the process after Step 2, to ask if I wanted to save this password.

So I went to Safari preferences and selected “do not autofill” to block this rude behavior.

Then I uninstalled XAMPP and reinstalled it. Started the apache server and the mysql server. Logged on to http://localhost/openemr and went through the process again, leaving the mysql root password blank. This time when I pushed “Continue” after Step 2, the process continues (it takes a while, you have to wait for what appears to be a stalled progress bar). And the installation was a success.

It would appear that Safari’s “helpful” effort to save the password glitches the install. Go figure.

If this post saves another OSX user from this frustration, it all will have been worthwhile!!

1 Like

thanks @sourdoughpablo ,

Have you ever had issues with the calendard or vital forms not showing up in OSX(ie. white screens of death)? (I’m trying to help troubleshoot issues for another OSX user).

thanks,
-brady

So far, no issues with the calendar. I haven’t actually populated 4.22 with patient data yet, so I haven’t worked with vital forms. If I find issues with these as I work up vs 5.00, I’ll let you know.