Demographics Layout Alternative

visualxl wrote on Thursday, July 11, 2013:

I have been playing around with demographic layout for quite some time.

I noticed that whenever I deleted a group/field for that particular layout, I would not be able to create a new patient any more for some reasons. The only way to restore openEMR back is to reinstall it again. Is there a better way to do it?

The reason why I edited the demographic layout because I only need a couple of information. So, is there a way to do it without messing with the source codes? Or even if need to change the source files, which files need to be edited? From my observation, I noticed that many files would be affected. I might be wrong.

Please advice.

tmccormi wrote on Thursday, July 11, 2013:

Don’t delete fields, just make them “unused” and they will disappear off the screen without breaking the database.

The delete option needs to be removed from that tool.

–Tony

deschel wrote on Thursday, July 11, 2013:

The layout engine has a counter-intuitive design that the more experienced people are aware of, and that the less experienced users learn the hard way.

It does not simply control the layout, it controls the database.

If you add a new field, it not only adds the field to the layout, but it creates a new row in the database. If you delete a field, it deletes the row in the database.

Because it does this, deleting a field in the layout results in a loss of all of the data that was in that table row. That is why Tony stated to keep the field and just change it to unused.

Personally, I feel that this design is inappropriate and dangerous. Layout should be separated from database. You should have one area where you modify the database and a separate area where layout is modified.

David Eschelbacher MD

visualxl wrote on Thursday, July 11, 2013:

I see. Thanks. That helps! I did not know that unused actually makes the field disappear and make the group disappear if you ‘unused’ all the fields.

Hi David,

I have had this problem on several occasions. I do not delete but even if i add a couple of fields on demographics, I geta problem adding new patients.
I have had to re-install openemr several times.
It is now really affecting my practice. There is not much point in using openemr if I am not able to customise the demographics.

I have tried to increase the max_input_vars to 8000 and memory 512 which helped for 1 field and then the problem started again.

I get the following.

Object not found!
The requested URL was not found on this server. The link on the referring page seems to be wrong or outdated. Please inform the author of that page about the error.
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 404
Apache/2.4.17 (Win32) OpenSSL/1.0.2d PHP/5.6.20

Thank you in advance