Custom Module for Core Modification in openEMR

I need some help with custom module development. Based on the previous #OpenEMR Modules video posted on OpenEMR, we have learned about module development and gained knowledge about creating and testing modules to ensure they work fine.

Referred link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYA8MosIWF0

Now, we want to add a module for core modification in the OpenEMR core files without directly altering the core coding files. For example, if I install and enable the module, the code should be appended to the core file. Similarly, if I disable the module, the code should be removed.

Have you ever tried this, and is it possible in OpenEMR?

So the only way to respond to core functionality is via the Events system. You can replace rendered template files via the twig templating events, but as far as core object code, that’s currently not possible. There is not a way to append / replace core PHP files if you are thinking of something similar to Ruby’s or other language’s duck typing of classes / objects.

Perhaps in the future that may be added but for now, its not possible. That said, the current event system can get you very far. We have several examples of modules that have done modifications of core code workflow bundled into the latest OpenEMR module. If you are missing an event that you want to react to (or change the execution workflow) into for the core code, PRs are very much appreciated. If you need more training/consulting on your specific requirements, the professional support vendors, or even myself could consult with you on this.

1 Like

For anything having to do with advancing module support, folks should remember the maintainers who provide and upgrade module capability and not vendors.

We need those monies to advance OpenEMR for all the community!