Creating a Pretext for Forms

So I am interested in the layouts of EMR. On my old provider, I was able to have pretext options for my forms that would allow me to select premade sentences for my patients; then, I would not need to write notes after the consultation because I could complete them all during the visit. Does anyone know how to create the premade sentences on OpenEMR?

Thank you for you help

Hi Bobby,

What is an example of a premade sentence you want in your encounter note?

You can try using layout based forms. You make a custom form which you can then associate with the encounter.
https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/LBV_Forms
https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Sample_Layout_Based_Visit_Form

Thank you for responding.

It would look like having a box (hundreds of presets) of different preset text fragments such as the following:

The pain radiates to the left upper extremity.
The pain radiates to the right upper extremity.
The pain radiates to the bilateral upper extremities.

I would be able to click on any of the applicable texts for the consultation in the patient’s form.

Try going to administration -> Forms -> Layouts

Click New Layout

Give it a Layout ID starting with LBF, fill out the other fields as appropriate, it’ll look something like this:

Add group to the new layout based form you just created.

Then add fields as appropriate.

It sounds like you’ll want to use a list box for the data type. You’ll need to select a list.
You can make your own in the list editor OR use the pre-existing procedure body sites, procedure lateralities list. You can edit them by going to Administration -> Forms -> Lists

Click encounter preview to take a look at how your form will look/work

Once you open an encounter for a patient, you can select your new form. It’s location may vary depending on what version of OpenEMR you’re running.

1 Like

I appreciate the help, but that’s not what I was looking for. I was more looking for the text to autopopulate, not premade questions. So I can click sentences from a list of statements, and the statements will add together to create the report. This would allow me to not type the words because most of my 90% of my patients have similar forms with a couple exceptions. Would this be possible?

You mean like dot phrases?

Or if you open an encounter would you want this area prepopulated with text?

Or one of these forms:

Like this one?

This is what you are looking for

1 Like

I am looking for the same thing but I can not access your video. Could you please share it.
One of the only few good things about EPIC is the smartphrase, it would be great if something similar exists in openEMR

Thanks

I’ve put in a tool based on Nation Notes but for text templates in context. Can be used in any encounter form where an input/text box exist by double clicking in the text box.
You can create contexts and categories for the context for canned phrases to insert in form.

Here is a video on how to use the tools that @sjpadgett built.

2 Likes

Wow thanks for sharing Sherwin!