Copay / Insurance Balance Issue In Record Payment View

Greetings!

I am seeing some unexpeced behavoir in the Fees > Payment view related to Copays / Insurance Balance

It seems like Co Pay Paid is not being included in the calculation of Insurance Balance - For Example:

From ERA Upload (Charged $1000 to Insurance after taking $40 copay from patient on day of service, ERA then returned with Approved Amount of $53 therefore a payment amount of $13 ($53 - $40 = $13) (this was for encounter # 2785, in this case I would have expected Insurance Balance to be 0 instead of 40 like is currently displayed):

I see these Topics which seem related but have not resulted in a solution on my end

Any ideas? Am I misunderstanding something?

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated!

(OpenEMR Version 7.0.2)

1 Like

To confirm, replacing

$balance = $charges - $ptpaid - $inspaid;

with

$balance = $charges - $ptpaid - $inspaid + $patcopay;

in front_payment.php appears to “solve” this problem for me, I’m just not sure if I am missing some reason why I should not make this change

1 Like

I see that someone has liked my comment where I describe how I edited front_payment.php.

Just to be super clear for any future readers who stumble across this thread, this edit is just what worked (and has continued to work) for my application. It is still possible that I will some day regret this decision/edit and do not recommend anyone else edit their front_payment.php in the same way unless they know EXACTLY what they are doing.

It is also possible that the need for this is outdated, I am still on OpenEMR 7.0.3 Patch 3

Peace and love :slight_smile:

1 Like