Cloud Express, new user, can't connect to instance (cross-posted from 'day-to-day users')

Situation
I’m a first-time user of the Cloud Express version (clinician, not experienced with connecting to Linux servers). I’ve launched an EC2 instance as an AWS micro user. Keypair accepted, check. I just haven’t yet been able to connect to it. I’m using a macbook for this, OS 10.10.

My initial expectation was that I’d just be connecting through a browser window. But then I read the AWS instructions on connecting through an SSH client. So I am trying to do this. Right now if I Terminal command, per the instructions :
ssh -i /Users// ec2-user@ec2-.compute-1.amazonaws.com

I get a hang, and then the error message:
ssh: connect to host port 22: Operation timed out

Next steps recommended?
Many thanks,
Peter

OpenEMR Version
I’m using OpenEMR version: Cloud Express

Browser:
I’m using: Chrome 72, Firefox 65

Operating System
I’m using: Mac OSX 10.10.5

Logs
Did you check the logs? Was there anything pertinent in them? Not sure what logs I’d be checking.

Hi @peter.stein,

You’ll need to replace ec2-.compute-1.amazonaws.com with the address of your particular instance. You can find this on the EC2 Dashboard

Hi Robert,
Sorry for the confusion–I do actually use the full public DNS address in the Terminal command–not sure why my message rendered like that (A failed attempt at abbreviating it I guess). (I also typed the path correctly, not with any weird double-slash symbol like in my original message.)
I’ve just tried again and am still getting the same “port 22: timed out” result. Other suggestions?
Thanks,
Peter

The instance should be responding on port 80 and 443; you can shell in through port 22, but you may need to adjust the EC2 security groups to allow ssh access from your IP.

Thanks! I created new security group rules; changed from default to that group; and it looks like I’m in!
Appreciatively,
Peter