Blank screen on first start of OpenEMR 5.0.2

Ubuntu 18 … Same exact instructions.

Ubuntu 19 :
sudo nano /etc/php/7.2/apache2/php.ini ……replace it with 7.3 instead of 7.2
and for adding user:
CREATE USER ‘openemruser’@‘localhost’ IDENTIFIED WITH mysql_native_password BY ‘PASSWORD’;

I did not try ubuntu 20 though……

This does indeed produce something: a page of information entitled “PHP Version 7.4.3”.

1 Like

Thank you Mohammad, looks interesting.

Thank you. It’s a question of priorities. While this is of moderately high urgency, it is only of middling importance at this moment. Not a basketball fan but I do have a few intensely absorbing interests, apart from work that is, which I will be much happier devoting time to than the spirit-sucking struggle with a recalcitrant computer. Ultimately here and now, I’d rather be happy than victorious. :slightly_smiling_face:

Well, that gives you a lot of information regarding your installation. It tells you what you have and not.
If you decide you want to give it another try I’ll be here. But I would use mysql 5.7. Which is what I have experience with. I could not get mine to work with Mysql 8

here’s a super simple setup of openemr 5.0.2(2) on ubuntu 20 server, thanks to @ncavalier for initially documenting and @brady.miller’s guidance

from a terminal prompt

1. sudo apt-get update
  2. sudo apt install docker.io
  3. sudo systemctl enable --now docker
  4. sudo usermod -aG docker $USER
  5. newgrp docker
  6. sudo apt install docker-compose
  7. mkdir openemr
  8. cd openemr
  9. wget https://gist.githubusercontent.com/bradymiller/8f8dc5215b07d287f7dc0fed80bf2b9d/raw/9b2a762849bbf8ce0a0d4dff30c4a359cfa88a44/openemr-502-docker-example-docker-compose.yml
  10. mv openemr-502-docker-example-docker-compose.yml docker-compose.yml
  11. docker-compose up -d
  12. make a cup of :tea:
  13. if using ubuntu 20 desktop login in at localhost in your browser with admin pass (if using server go to client with browser and enter ip of server)
1 Like

The nice thing about the above install instruction set is that is can be done on a bare bones ubuntu install (in fact, having apache installed on the ubuntu will cause issues since they will fight for port 80; this can easily be adjusted by changing the port in the docker-compose.yml script though). No messing with dependencies. It just works and you get to even drink a cup of :tea: (or :coffee: ) :slight_smile:

1 Like

if https with openemr certs. you do not need port 80, only 443 am I correct?

hi @Mohammad , Yes, to clarify, can also use port 443 (ssl), which can also be changed if needed in the docker-compose.yml

Thank you Sandra. That’s kind of you.

Thank you Stephen. Super simple hmmm, that’s tempting… I’ll give it a go. I presume I’d better purge my system of all openemr, mysql, mariadb, apache files and folders before starting…? What about php?

1 Like

@stephenwaite @brady.miller

The docker procedure carried through smoothly, apparently successfully, but when I try to open localhost/openemr in my browser (Firefox), I persistently get: “Problem loading page. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading”. Same in Chrome: “This site can’t be reached”.

try just:
http://localhost/

Thank you, that works.

1 Like

@stephenwaite @brady.miller My next question is: How do I restore my openemr 5.0.2 backup to this docker installation?

you don’t, but you can connect this installation to your database by entering the password information in …/sites/default/sqlconf.php

Hi,
Backups and restores can be done with dockers like any other installation. The key difference is that need to do the steps within the openemr docker that you now have running. Just think of the docker as a virtual machine and then it makes more sense.

@gutiersa @brady.miller Sadly, I think it fair to say you both overestimate my understanding. I have a Docker installation. I have a backup, on a memory stick, made from a regular installation of 5.0.2 on another machine. I need that data accessible by my new Docker installation. What do I do? I am afraid I will need step by step instructions. My apologies.

hi @rdh61, no prob, we’re up for :person_climbing:

let’s bring in the db first

1. extract the contents of emr_backup.tar on your :floppy_disk: to your Downloads folder
  2. go there in your terminal prompt; cd ~/Downloads
  3. gzip -d openemr.sql.gz
  4. docker ps we’re looking for the container id for the mariadb to use in the next step
  5. docker cp /home/$USER/Downloads/openemr.sql <mariadb container id>:.
  6. docker exec -it <mariadb container id> /bin/bash
  7. mysql -uroot -proot openemr < openemr.sql
  8. exit
  9. docker exec -it $(docker ps | grep _openemr | cut -f 1 -d " ") /bin/sh
  10. wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openemr/openemr/rel-502/sql_upgrade.php
  11. run the upgrade script even though not “upgrading” :); go to localhost/sql_upgrade.php in your browser :fox_face:
  12. back to terminal and rm sql_upgrade.php
  13. exit
  14. go to localhost to login and see your data :slight_smile:

Thank you very much. I have come unstuck at point 5. What have I done wrong?

robert@roberts-work-laptop:~$ cd ~/Downloads
robert@roberts-work-laptop:~/Downloads$ gzip -d openemr.sql.gz
robert@roberts-work-laptop:~/Downloads$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                   COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                                      NAMES
79f95d5fae4c        openemr/openemr:5.0.2   "./run_openemr.sh"       2 days ago          Up 39 minutes       0.0.0.0:80->80/tcp, 0.0.0.0:443->443/tcp   openemr_openemr_1
16d0ec71eb7a        mariadb:10.4            "docker-entrypoint.s…"   2 days ago          Up 39 minutes       3306/tcp                                   openemr_mysql_1
robert@roberts-work-laptop:~/Downloads$ docker cp /home/robert/Downloads/openemr.sql <16d0ec71eb7a>:
bash: 16d0ec71eb7a: No such file or directory