Any way that our database can be stored in the cloud?

My client has a desktop and a laptop and I am wondering whether she might be able to keep the data in a central source in the cloud so that she can access from either equally. So for example if she entered a new patients info on one computer one day then she can use the other computer at a later time and have the patients info such as insurance company etc fill in

Thanks

Well, remember that OpenEMR is implemented as a website that’s backed by a database that a user connects to with their web browser. Most installations of OpenEMR assume that there will be a central location with both the website and the database, to which any number of users can connect.

So we’ve got /plenty/ of solutions for remote access for multiple users. Having just the database in a cloud location, with OpenEMR locally installed onto multiple systems that share a database, wouldn’t actually work right because of document storage concerns. You need to install OpenEMR itself to a cloud location, not just its database.

2 Likes

Oh ok - that makes perfect sense.

I am not sure which cloud services she uses, but for example if she were set up with microsoft OneDrive that would work? Otherwise which services have you seen work? Thanks - appreciate any thoughts you may have

@leongruenbaum I think OneDrive isn’t the choice, rather Azure is suitable.

I would really love to see a tutorial on “migrating” a local windows OpenEMR installation to the cloud, google cloud for example. Dealing with the migration, testing, security hardening and finally backing up. I guess implementing on the cloud for the average Joe costs a lot than maintaining own small local server (minus the cloud functions of course).

Migration is always tricky, but most of what we know about running in the cloud lives in https://github.com/openemr/openemr-devops , which houses our containers and our various container-based installations for local systems or Amazon’s cloud.

2 Likes