Any interest in retrying internship program?

Several years ago we looked d into a trying a fully remote unpaid internship program.

There were actually quite a lot of students who would be interested in participating in an internship program working on the OpenEMR project from a technical and nontechnical standpoint.

The limiting factor seemed to be a limited number of mentors with a limited amount of time to dedicate to mentoring students.

Perhaps a potential internship program would have a lot more success if it had one or more designated “internship coordinators” to handle onboarding, administrative items, and mentoring from a professional/nontechnical perspective. That way students would meet with “project mentors” on a limited, as-needed basis as it pertains to making progress on a certain project.

Ideally an internship coordinator would also work with a variety of people affiliated with the OpenEMR community to come up with some pre-defined projects and roles that students can choose from before they get started.

If anyone would be interested in mentoring one or more students feel free to send me an email and maybe we can discuss potential tasks for student interns at the next developer call.

Thoughts?

3 Likes

@Rachel_Ellison
I will find a way to be a mentor. How much time do you propose per week?

Hello Rachelle, please reach out to me at mjsove@gmail.com