A great book for guiding the design of an EHR

I highly recommend a book titled “Medication Errors” by Michael R. Cohen. It elucidated very very useful rules for a medical model, primary focusing on medication errors.

I hope open-EMR developers could read the book and get ideas from it. Also, I will contribute to this forum when as I read more chapters. Thank you

Tom

Here are something I read from it which I think is very reasonable.

Drug knowledge dissemination is a major problem. Because of the number, variety, and complexity of drugs, it is impossible for any individual to recall all that he or she needs to know in order to use a drug appropriately and safely. Health professionals need to have drug information available at the time decisions are made and in a form they can easily use.

It is about the drug database.

Tasks should be simplified to minimize the load on the weakest aspects of cognition (i.e., short-term memory, planning, and problem solving).

Forcing functions can be used to structure critical tasks so that errors cannot be made. For example, a computerized system for medication orders can be designed so that a physician cannot enter an order for a lethal overdose of a drug or prescribe a medication to which a patient is known to be allergic.

And so on … (I will update more nice ideas in future)

Tom