5.0.2: Unable to download a medical record document/file that was uploaded with 5.0.1

Situation
Unable to download a medical record document file that was uploaded with 5.0.1(p7) and now cannot be downloaded with 5.0.2. Logging was on, and the following error messages were noted:

1. Popup dialog box:
    Error: Not a valid DICOM file (no magic DICM word found).

2. The file never downloaded and in the pane where the file view would normally display the following red text appeared:

Not For Diagnostic Use

Still Loading…

OpenEMR Version
I’m using OpenEMR version 5.0.2.

Browser:
I’m using: Safari on macOS (Version 12.1.2 (14607.3.9))

Operating System
I’m using:
client: macOS (Mojave 10.14.6)
server: AWS OpenEMR Standard hosted on Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS

Logs
Nothing pertinent.

Did you ever find a solution to this?

No, I did not find a solution … the file simply is one that cannot be downloaded.
–RBL

You should be able to open it with a normal pdf opener, just not though OpenEMR. You might have to ask the organization that sent you the document to resend it to you in pdf format.

1 Like

I agree. I wound up getting the information in another format. I was just disappointment that I was not able to retrieve something that I had put into the EMR.

I’ve run into this only one other time. Have you seen this issue with other documents? I also wonder if this could be php related. I will do more research.

Thank you for your help. I agree that this is a rare issue … problem even more rare now that OpenEMR is pickier about what it lets you upload as a document. Nowadays we only use PDF files, and so it’s not a problem anymore.

Back in the day, we would upload everything related to the patient … .XML files, MS-Word, MS-Excel files, zip files and even executables. We don’t do that anymore. Also, we now usually use Dropbox as our EMR “supporting documentation” repository because it’s essentially unlimited storage much faster to move files back and forth to client machines from Dropbox - also, the security for Dropbox is very easy to configure and can be as granular as you want it to be. With a business account, everything in Dropbox can logged and audited as well.
–RBL

Also note a new security feature in OpenEMR 5.0.2 is that documents are encrypted when stored on the drive (via a key that is stored in the database).

@Ralf_Lukner,
Getting back to your original issue, was the file a DICOM file?

No, it wasn’t a DICOM file. I believe it was some type of CCDA, a zip file of such information, or related file. Evidently, a case of mistaken identity.

–RBL

I have a customer who is having difficulty opening DICOM files. What would be causing this? They are getting the same error as mentioned above. Thanks!!