View and Print Layout for LBF Forms

andyflces wrote on Friday, September 04, 2015:

I may have overlooked while searching this forum, but I wonder:

Is there a way to make the LBF forms appear “nicer” and more organized when viewing the input in the encounter form or when printing? That is, while the layout looks nice during the patient data entry time, once saved, our forms are looking horrible on screen. When we have to print records because another provider may have requested those, our printouts don’t look so good. Is there a way to change the display formatting of these LBF forms? I have attached an example:

In our test example output, you can see three columns; it almost looks like they need to be spaced out further for the screen and/or print output?

Thanks for any insight.

Andy

P.S.: I may have also posted this to the developer forum… but it didn’t show, so please excuse potential cross-posting :slight_smile:

teryhill wrote on Friday, September 04, 2015:

You mean something like this.

Edit the file in the form section called report.php

Terry

andyflces wrote on Saturday, September 05, 2015:

Where do you find this file? I looked through the EMR directory but couldnt’ find it :frowning:

teryhill wrote on Saturday, September 05, 2015:

openemr/interface/forms/LBF. Changes to the report.php file here will be for all LBF forms

Terry

andyflces wrote on Saturday, September 05, 2015:

Thanks, Terry. I found the file, perused it, but I cannot see where to make the changes. Any additional thoughts?

Andy

teryhill wrote on Saturday, September 05, 2015:

http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_Support_Guide#Professional_Support

Terry

fsgl wrote on Saturday, September 05, 2015:

The various elements of the History & Physical are organized in a fairly rigid format which involves a vertical layout. This format is taught in all U.S. medical schools. Consequently nearly all physicians adhere to it. To have Chief Complaint, History of Present Illness, Past Medical History & Past Surgical History arranged horizontally is rather unconventional & it may be impractical.

If the practice wants to squeeze 9 fields into one line, it is possible; but it would look very congested. Here are examples with layouts. Another Wiki article on manipulating the form.

One quick fix to the layout would be to use textbox instead of textarea for sections which have lengthy entries. Using textbox eliminates a lot of the empty space on the right as seen in the Substance Use field.

mdsupport wrote on Sunday, September 06, 2015:

@Andy, at its core LBF is really meant for input of 2 (label, data) pairs per line. So best way is to use a word processor document containing 4 column table to simulate data entry display. Use a 5 column table for simulate report display as the section name is added as a column. For sake of report display, keep section names short or modify the code to display section names on a sepate line. In your image, one suggestion will be to use shorter labels which display the description text on hover. Also use textboxes that take 3 columns when long text is expected.

I have a strictly vertical lbf form and it looks great on design and on input. When I go to look at a form it only shows the top part of the form on screen, I have to press edit to see all of the fields. When I try to print it several fields are off to the right. When I had it printing nicely, the input form was skewed. How do you reconcile this?