Using OpenEMR to write prescriptions

Hi Everyone, thanks for this thread, which is really helpful as I’m joining the community and setting up OpenEMR.

I’m a psychiatrist in MA. Need ECPS+PDMP.

-Weno doesn’t have contract w CVS or Walgreens. I spoke with the Weno president, who says they’re working on it.
-NewCrop wanted $2,000 implementation and a $4-5,000 DEA audit fee, and then $19/mo/prescriber. That seems absurd for adding a few lines of code.
-Veradigm: set up an apt with sales via bot
-iPrescribe: have apt with enterprise sales. I’ve use their tool before in Osmind
-MDToolbox: they do not integrate with EMRs (per their support chat).

I’m surprised that everyone is using different tools. If there are 5,000 clinicians using OpenEMR in the US alone, that would seem like a good market for any of these e-prescribe companies.

Could someone please offer an update on this thread? Are there other solutions I should consider? Please advise,

Thanks all,
DB

Hi @dbarron
This is Harley Tuck, customer service at MI-Squared, replying to the eRx/ EPCS portion of your post.

First off, as of a month or so ago ‘NewCrop’ has rebranded to ‘Ensora’ so that’s their name these days!

But second, the prices NewCrop/ Ensora quoted you are for other sorts of services, none of which are what you’re looking for. ERx for OpenEMR is a dedicated service in NewCrop/ Ensora for which they only offer 2nd - 3d tier support, so none of the sales people you talked to know about it.

First tier support and enrollment is provided by us at MI-Squared. And we do not charge multiple $thousands for eRx. DM me and I’d be happy to send along our price list.

But just FYI, the eRx interface in OpenEMR involves a lot more than a just few lines of code. It’s a whole set of interactions between OpenEMR with the NewCrop system, managing displays, swapping data, error checking, etc.

I suppose you could set up all those other tools if you want but it’s unnecessary, everything needed for a fully functional eRx including EPCS and PDMP is included in our Ensora eRx subscription. And they connect to every registered pharmacy in the US.

Drop me a line!
Best- Harley

1 Like

Hi Harley, thanks for your response.

Yes, thanks for the tip wrt ERx. Will check them out.

And yes, would appreciate more info abt MI-squared. Will DM.

:slight_smile: The few lines of code refers to the marginal cost of adding a new practice/user, not the initial build.

Talk soon, DB

bringing this chat back up in 2026 with version 8.3 of openemr

  • Ensora eRx is not a service their website , only possible to buy it on openemr site via mi squared
    -Weno unfortunately is limited in pharmacy they support in NY and some other states

Did anyone have any success integrating any other ePrescription providers in openEMR?
iprecribe enterprise is a dead end?

Hi @nefesh

Ensora is still available to integrate with OpenEMR as it always has been; feel free to contact me if you want more info re: that.

As far as eRx solutions for OpenEMR it seems that weno is still available though I have no info on how functional it is or what features it provides. You could search this forum for the latest ( Search results for 'weno order:latest' - OpenEMR Community )

One fairly new thing is that @juggernautsei has been doing a lot of work bringing Pill Pals to OpenEMR,(yay Sherwin) and he’s the guy to ask any questions about that feature. Or check this linked forum post:

As far as I know, other commercial standalone eRx solutions can be used with OpenEMR but they are not the least bit integrated. You need to duplicate pt hx data entry and eRx info back and forth between the erx app and the pt record so they’re a PITA to use. But evidently they do suit some small practices, especially non-Medical alternative health outfits.

Good luck!

  • Harley
1 Like

There has been links placed in v8 to purchase eRx services of Ensora eRx. It makes it easier to signup for services.

I have released the module for the Ensora Claims Manager.

https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_Modules#Ensora_Claims_Manager

It still needs some work. But it is mostly functional.

Fork the repo and join the Ensora Claims Manager project!

Thanks for the mention @htuck

Sure thing, @juggernautsei

BTW, where would I look for that link to sign up for Ensora eRx? I only see the Ensora Claims Mgr.

@htuck it got removed for the release. I don’t see it any more.

has anyone try to integrate Officeally eRx with openemr , contacted their api to see what we can come up with , sync of pt database would help

I haven’t heard of anybody doing that or see any mention of OpenEMR on the OA site. Evidently they already have their own EMR that has OA-eRx pretty tightly integrated; I wouldn’t expect them to point potential users away from their own products.

do we know why? will it be put back in?

I have a module for dose spot. I can release it next week. They are all Surescripts VARS.

meaning directions and dosing for each medication?

The module connects the EHR to this platform to replace Ensora.

Looking at their identity-proofing they want SSN /credit card/facial recognition /driver license.

I say no bueno.

Hi @Mohammad

Yeah, no. We don’t require all that for Identity Proofing, partly because we use humans in the process. You might also want to check on how integrated DoseSpot is with OpenEMR. I visited their website and I couldn’t find any mention of the EMRs they claimed to be integrated with, or the manner or extent of their integration.

Best- Harley

1 Like

Let me add a note:

At work today I went through the ID.me registration process with a customer, which I don’t usually do because they typically already have that completed before they get to us for EPCS.

Come to find out, ID.me does require the photo, and SSN and the other ‘intrusive’ data you mentioned. ID.me is a fairly new (within past couple years?) credential that attests to the fact that you are a legitimate healthcare professional. It was launched as part of a massive effort to combat the Opioid Epidemic and prevent illegal eRx.

So the thing is, any eRx vendor who does EPCS will require you to have an ID.me login; it’s not just Ensora or DoseSpot. So I learned something today!

  • HT

I use Login.gov. One is replacing the other I think. Still, for me, it was the driver license upload that was a pain.

lol yeah I know, who asked me! :slight_smile:

Jerry what is login.gov and what makes it different from ID.me?