User Interface Renovations

robertdown wrote on Friday, May 13, 2016:

Yes, I think once we firm up the actual implementation details I will write user documentation to aid those coming in to meet their specific needs

osverdlov wrote on Saturday, May 14, 2016:

interface/public is a good idea.

I have tried to put together very initial set of useful features to review and comment.

1. security. Client-side assets folder should not contain executable PHP code.
  2. legacy code support. With new versions of OpenEMR more and more client side stuff will be moved to the new folder.
  3. bower/composer/nodejs/whatewer install should not be made into a requirement for OpenEMR install. Users can continue to download the archive and install it the usual way. For development tasks like adding new vendor libraries - yes, installation of package manager(s) stack may be required.
  4. ability to bring CSS and JS from other folders .
  5. We did some initial work to support custom JS ( https://sourceforge.net/p/openemr/code-review/274/ ) but this can be improved by bringing terrific Assetic ( GitHub - kriswallsmith/assetic: Asset Management for PHP )
  6. aim to support themes in future. A theme package consists of client-side assets and server-side templates that may override default system components views and add additional code.

Let me know what do you think.

osverdlov wrote on Wednesday, May 25, 2016:

Just checking in to see what’s going on here.

@brady, is there any word from Practice Provider on how their Bootstrap implementation is progressing?

If they are not cooperate, I’m afraid we have to consider other options: doing it ourselves :slight_smile:

Can we agree on a location for 3rd party libraries, say, library/assets/vendor/xxx ?

robertdown wrote on Wednesday, May 25, 2016:

Sorry for not a lot of movement in the last couple of weeks.

Hoping to catch up this week, I’ll keep you posted @oleg

bradymiller wrote on Thursday, May 26, 2016:

Judging from the prolonged silence on this by Practice Provider, I think we are on our own here. Sounds like Robert and Oleg are picking up the torch, though :slight_smile:
(as an aside, Practice Provider contributed an enormous amount of work to make OpenEMR PHP7 compatible, and the community will be forever grateful for this; ie. if there was a OpenEMR hall of fame, they would be there :slight_smile: )

Regarding paths of libraries, will likely be decided by whomever does the work as long as it’s within reason.

-brady
OpenEMR

mdsupport wrote on Tuesday, June 07, 2016:

On-site patient portal currently uses its own set of css with a common file base.css in patients subdirectory. Individual files in that module also include several local styles. Has anyone looked at incorporating some of these in standard theme or is it expected that patient portal will have different look and feel?

robertdown wrote on Tuesday, June 07, 2016:

I would assume that the portal will be completely different. I’m honestly more focused on the normal OpenEMR than the portal right now. Just not enough hours in the day :expressionless:

osverdlov wrote on Wednesday, June 08, 2016:

No opinion here.

tmccormi wrote on Wednesday, June 08, 2016:

The Patient Portal has a different audience entirely and needs much simpler interface. The built in portal is still very minimal. The MU2 cert requires a full interactive portal, which at this time, is provided by a service via ZH Healthcare along with other parts of the required MU data.

mdsupport wrote on Wednesday, June 08, 2016:

I guess we consider theme to be just a building block for a page - like texture of paper and color of ink that can be common regardless of the complexity(or simplicity) of matter being put on that paper.

This has practical impact for us since we are exploring way to extending a revamped portal as a route for providing content for mobile devices. That would mean our users will be patients, payors and possibly emr users with quick access while away from clinic.

teryhill wrote on Wednesday, June 08, 2016:

Looking forward to seeing those code improvments from you. They sound great

bradymiller wrote on Friday, June 10, 2016:

Hi,

Robert posted what seems to be a very reasonable start, which:

1. Improves the icons in left_nav
  2. Initiates use of bower
  3. uses bower to bring in the font-awesome package (which are used for above icons)

Code is here:

Plan to bring this into the codebase soon unless issues are raised.

-brady
OpenEMR

bradymiller wrote on Tuesday, June 14, 2016:

Hi,

I just committed Robert’s above work into the main codebase.

I also created a ‘bower’ wiki page here to track things and not “lose” this feature: http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OpenEMR_Wiki_Home_Page#Embedded_Components

I am guessing bootstrap will be next :slight_smile:

-brady
OpenEMR

mdsupport wrote on Tuesday, June 21, 2016:

It may be better to include an import of font-awesome in the default theme file so it is automatically available in all scripts.

robertdown wrote on Wednesday, June 22, 2016:

Already done. Pulled in maybe a week ago?

bradymiller wrote on Sunday, July 03, 2016:

Hi,

I just committed Robert’s most recent work into the codebase, which is another theme called Radiant (also brought in a couple fixes for the Light theme).

Please test out the Radiant theme and let know if issues.

thanks,
-brady
OpenEMR

medfetch wrote on Tuesday, July 05, 2016:

I updated the tan_no_icons theme also to include the fontAwesome icons (which are very cool) and the better buttons found in the light theme. Perhaps then tan_no_icons should be renamed Tan Theme?

Commit:

tmccormi wrote on Tuesday, July 05, 2016:

Recent commit has issue in Chrome browser with Radiant on Demographics tab. See attached

robertdown wrote on Tuesday, July 05, 2016:

Interesting… Will look into it.

Hi,

@robert.down has been doing some amazing work on this with a lot of recent code going into the codebase over the last day. It’s looking really nice and with a more sophisticated look. Some good examples are the top part of the tabs layout, transactions gui, history gui, all the reports, and the Administration->Practices gui(note this hasn’t been fully converted over). There’s also now options to choose font and font size.

Let us know if you see any bugs or anything odd. The things we have noted that we are working on to fix are:

1. Increasing the weight of the text in the blue buttons
  2. fixing the login screen layout

-brady