User Interface Renovations

mdsupport wrote on Saturday, February 13, 2016:

Is there a way to balance sizes of labels and actual data?

tmccormi wrote on Saturday, February 13, 2016:

CSS just needs to have a different “button” type style for these kinds of inline buttons/links.

robertdown wrote on Monday, February 15, 2016:

This work has inspired me to continue my modern theme. I’ve taken the advice of a purely CSS theme, no changes to the actual codebase. Here are some screenshots.

bradymiller wrote on Tuesday, February 16, 2016:

Hi Tony,

I rebased all your work into 1 commit on top of the most recent codebase (I did forget to add the .gitignore file since the copy command didn’t copy files prepended with a period) and I also placed a review of the code there:

(please see my comments on the commit by searching for bradymiller)

Here is the branch that contains this code:

It took awhile to fix the merge conflicts, so please now work from this new branch(feel free to add your .gitignore file to it also).

-brady

Hi Tony,

Just so you know, the goal is to get your work into the main codebase as soon as possible (and I do think it is getting close). Then there is another developer whom is currently working (in the alpha stage) of dealing with the frameset issues; and that developer can then integrate your styling into his work:
https://sourceforge.net/p/openemr/discussion/202506/thread/e3356721

-brady

Hi Robert,

What code is your styling based on?

-brady

robertdown wrote on Wednesday, February 17, 2016:

For now I’ve just copied the default style and began rewriting. Eventually I want to incorporate the Bootstrap foundation, but for now it is just easiest to tweak a current theme.

Inspiration came from the current iteration of Microsoft Office.

I’ll post the github repo momentarily. Just need to clearn up and commit my latest changes.

yehster wrote on Wednesday, February 17, 2016:

One big concern with what’s going on in this restyle is adding new classes (so there is both title and title-custom now…) Seems much cleaner to fix the existing “title” class rather than introduce a new one.

Robert’s approach of improving the existing CSS theme is more straightforward, rather than introducing a whole new set of CSS classes.

The problem with the existing CSS themes is that they aren’t applied consistently because of the larger number of authors in the project. (some buttons are links, some are input tags, some are button tags, just as one example)

The end goal should not just be the nicest looking style changes, but the most consistent application of css tags.

yehster wrote on Wednesday, February 17, 2016:

It is a little worrisome to see such extensive changes, in so many files, especially when there are more than just css class modifications.

tonyarra wrote on Wednesday, February 17, 2016:

Thanks Brady, this is great! Well continue working from this branch. Hopefully we can wrap this up quickly, and integrate the frameset changes in later on from Kevin’s fork.

bradymiller wrote on Wednesday, February 17, 2016:

Hi Kevin,

The end goals of the UI project was to:

1. Have a product that actually entices potential customers.
  2. Use least invasive method possible.
  3. Continue to support the older themes.
  4. Leave the specifics of the solution to whomever was willing to do all the work.

Practive Provider has been working on this in the public domain for at least 4 months now. Several code changes were needed to support the GUI pills in addition to some other GUI related items. Having a couple extra classes is not something that struck me as an issue when I was doing the review.

-brady
OpenEMR

tmccormi wrote on Wednesday, February 17, 2016:

Standardized classes is very important to the long term ability to support other kinds of UI, like mobile devices. We really need to make the use of standized classes part of the review/acceptance criteria as much as possible.

robertdown wrote on Wednesday, February 17, 2016:

All of my changes only leverage currently used classes, I’m not adding anything new. But I do agree that we should push for a stronger standardized UI implementation. I have noticed a LOT of redundency in the CSS, I’m sure it also exists in the HTML as well.

tonyarra wrote on Tuesday, February 23, 2016:

Hey Brady,

I made some bugfixes on your rebase-ui-phase2_1 branch and pushed it up to our fork. Let me know if this looks correct git-wise.

bradymiller wrote on Tuesday, February 23, 2016:

Looks good git-wise
(in the future, I will ensure to make you the author of the commit; this is a reminder to myself).
-brady

tmccormi wrote on Wednesday, February 24, 2016:

On the Practiceprovider (bootstrap) version. The demographics.php Appointments widget: $bodyClass needs to be changed to “summary_item” instead of “summary_item small” to prevent the big blue boxes that are all crammed together.

At that was my simple fix to that issue.

–Tony

robertdown wrote on Friday, March 04, 2016:

My up for grabs demo demo.open-emr.org:2106/openemr now reflects my latest theme. It’s similar in nature to practiceprovider’s.

Still working on some sizing issues and other minor changes.

Constructive criticism welcome!

bradymiller wrote on Saturday, March 05, 2016:

Hi Robert,
Look nice and very lightweight. It looks like it’s just one style sheet in the commit. Are you still working on it, or do you think it’s ready to go into the codebase(you can always keep on working on it after its in the codebase also).
-brady

sharonco wrote on Sunday, March 06, 2016:

Do you have any idea when all the changes will be released?

robertdown wrote on Monday, March 07, 2016:

Yep, just one style sheet (so uncommon for me, right?). I do want to keep working on it, but I do think it is stable enough to make it into the codebase. Do you need me to create a patch or pull request?