There is a new EHR Open Source

sheldonducks12 wrote on Saturday, October 06, 2012:

Everyone should take a look at this  http://www.gaiaehr.org

sunsetsystems wrote on Saturday, October 06, 2012:

Interesting.  Someone has been busy.  Looks like OpenEMR re-invented with ExtJS.  The OpenEMR connection is more obvious in the demo when you open the navigation bar on the left.  Seems they still have a lot to do.

Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com

bradymiller wrote on Saturday, October 06, 2012:

Hi,

Looks nice at first. Played around with it a bit and looked through the code. As I recall, they forked this from OpenEMR about 2 years ago and have been working on this continuously since (it’s too bad they seemed to restart the repo in 6/2012, thus losing all of their initial commit history). Appears to be a huge amount of work, although mostly is geared towards the appearance part of things. With very limited functionality at this point and appears to be a huge amount of work left to do. The cool thing here is that both projects should be able to borrow code from each other (for example, they even took OpenEMR’s recent code for the ICD9/ICD10/SNOMED/RXNORM imports and as time goes on Gaiaehr should have some features that will make sense to bring into OpenEMR).

-brady
OpenEMR

bradymiller wrote on Saturday, October 06, 2012:

Just recalled the original name was mitosEHR; here’s that repo, which has an intersting history (especially the starting point):
http://github.com/MitosEHR/MitosEHR-Official

-brady

sheldonducks12 wrote on Sunday, October 07, 2012:

After few days of testing.

1. The EHR have a really good interface. (EXTJS)
2. Have new features like the floor plans management ( Very Good For Hospitals ), the patient manegement is a great idea BUT still alot  of work to do still simple. They have good ideas, i think they just need man power.
3. Easy Installation, the data import of the codes is very similar to OpenEMR. I Notice they have been getting some ideas from here.
4. The  template creator is a GOOD idea. i have been playing around with it. but i think that stills under development.

In general i think they are going in a good way. That is just a BETA so i guess i cant expect much from it. I think This team should contact them to see if we somehow can merge both projects so we can help each other. Have Been using OpenEMR for 2 years and this is the closest program i think would be attractive to my clients (people like nice interface and thats what we lack)  so hopefully something happen.

vela1606 wrote on Monday, October 15, 2012:

Hi guys,

Yes, GaiEHR started about 2+ years ago. We originally forked OpenEMR, but after 2 months or so, we decided to start from scratch. We kept the database structure, but that eventually changed too.

Gaia main layout is similar to OpenEMR, but must of the panels are completely different to try to achieve a better user experience. The php logic is completely different, since we don’t have to worry about printing html, javascript or css. Although we use a modified OpenEMR’s import code  and most recently CCR code. Gaia servers side logic id 95% SQL statements. This helps a lot with the development progress.

@Rod - ohh yeah we still have a lot of work ahead of us  :slight_smile:

@Brad  - yes, originally we started working from an OpenEMR forked repo on hrivera787 account about 2+ years ago.

@Sheldon - Merge? humm the 2 projects are very different, like a said the only things we have in common are the two php classes and the main layout (just the way it looks). Help each other? sure thing.

With that said, I would love to get in contact with any of OpenEMR project leaders to see if there any way we can work together. I don’t see OpenEMR as my competitor, but more like an allied against “Health Information Systems” proprietary software companies out there :slight_smile:

Finally, Thanks to the OpenEMR community and leaders for maintaining alive this awesome project.

With Best Regards,

Ernesto J. Rodriguez
GaiaEHR Manager and Lead Developer

Ps. By the way… Here is where GaiaEHR was born :-) 
https://sourceforge.net/projects/openemr/forums/forum/202506/topic/3826465