Separating users by location and maintaining updates

Hi everyone, I’m a developer for my company and we’re looking to possibly switch to OpenEMR. I have just two questions real quick:

1. Is there a way to separate users by location? For instance, we have techs that work at Location 1 and another group of techs that works at Location 2. When scheduling patients or searching for them, is there a way to stop Location 1 from seeing Location 2’s patients? I read that we can run separate instances of OpenEMR using the “same code base” but I’m not really sure if that solution will give us the functionality we’re looking for.

2. I’d need to write some api’s to integrate into some other software we have. This is no problem but my question is how is that managed against updates from OpenEMR core? So the open emr team commits security patches or feature improvements, etc, how would I protect my custom development from being overwritten when applying those patches?

Any help or guidance here to a newbie would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.

1 Like

I’ll try and answer for #2. If I were you I would do all my custom stuff in modules. That way when core is updated your module will stay unaffected. Modules are easy to write and have a lot of power behind them.

1 Like

hi @maximus1127 , you can checkout the patient filter event code to see what could be leveraged in the existing codebase.