Role-based Menus

medfetch wrote on Thursday, January 05, 2017:

I will upload some images of the proposal to add role-based menus as an option to the base/default openEMR menu…

medfetch wrote on Thursday, January 05, 2017:

Using the 5.0 tabbed menu, tan style:

1. Default openEMR menu
  2. Answering Service
  3. Front Desk
  4. Clinical Staff
  5. Billing - pending (no image)
  6. Administrators

mdsupport wrote on Thursday, January 05, 2017:

Good to see movement on this front.

From outset, please keep in mind target of this application is small practices where there is no dedicated “Administrator”. In fact, most offices will have staff that don multiple hats or take on temporary roles when their collegue is off for few days.

Many enterprise applications address this issue with letting user toggle roles. A single practice owner (who by default is “Administrator”), will normally see a “MD” menu but will have ability to switch to “Admin” menu to add a new user without having to switch user or change roles.

Hope that makes sense.

medfetch wrote on Friday, January 06, 2017:

Ultimately menu access will should be limited on account creation using a mechanism built alongside the current process, if not directly in this.

Currently the demo allows anyone to toggle to any role as a user preference. (All the ACL restrictions are still present.)

If I find during my day that I (as a clinician) need to perform a task not in the “Clinical Staff” menu, I switch over to the default. Over time, if the task I could not do from the Clinical Menu is a task that should be in the Clinical Menu, I add it.

What I am asking is for anyone to look at the menus and suggest what other tasks should be included out-of-the-box for a given role.

Once an instance of openEMR is deployed, the practices can:

1. switch everyone to the “default” menu and continue as if there were no role-based menus (current)
  2. manually go in and alter the code like I do (bad idea)
  3. pay for support to add menu items (most logical)
  4. we build a web based menu-builder that allows the admin user to edit the menus to suit their needs

cmswest wrote on Wednesday, January 11, 2017:

really nice approach Ray! for the clinician role based menu probably don’t need:

Labs/Testing

Providers
Configuration
Load Compendium

juggernautsei wrote on Wednesday, January 18, 2017:

This is very nice work and it really looks great to have. I agree that the default menu is to much and need to be tappered/tailored more like what you are doing.

Do you have this on git yet?

I like the idea of being able to toggle the menus based on what the person is doing and they are able to toggle the menus themself without having to ask admin.

At the creation of the account and assignment of role should set the menus to that roll. Then the user can toggle all they want from there.

medfetch wrote on Wednesday, January 25, 2017:

@Sherwin:
Yes this is on github and Brady set up the demo. It is an extension of Kevin’s vision for the menu.

http://demo.open-emr.org:2108/openemr/interface/login/login.php?site=default
I will leave the methods for assigning menu at login to real developers who will need to also build a “menu-generatin” menu. I simply do not know what I am doing, half the time anyway.

@Stephen:
Thanks for the suggestion. I don’t have any labs connectors setup so this is good info, the type of info we need to set a base option for role-based menus.

juggernautsei wrote on Tuesday, January 31, 2017:

Ray,
I think you have done great work.
Has this been submitted for inclusion in the code base?
I plan on using this on my next production deployment.