Problems with restoring data in OSX install of OEMR

@sourdoughpablo ,

Thanks for posting this and please feel free to update the instruction set on the wiki at:
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/XAMPP_and_OpenEMR_Installation_in_OS_X

Can request wiki access here and I’ll gladly confirm the request:
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Special:RequestAccount

Note there is a backup mechanism to bring in ICD10 (although ideally we should figure out a fix for the importing function) here: http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Import_Standard_Tables#Import.2FUpgrade_and_activate_ICD10

-brady

looks like globals temp setting can’t override xampp on os x, defaults to /var/folders so run this
sudo chmod -R 777 /var/folders
ignore the errors that it spits out since it can’t change permissions on some of the subdirectories and then try the external data load again please @sourdoughpablo

on osx /tmp is a symbolic link to /private/tmp
lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 root wheel 11 Feb 19 19:21 /tmp -> private/tmp

could change the code to have an osx case, openemr/globals.inc.php at master · openemr/openemr · GitHub

Are we talking XAMPP/xamppfiles/var/folders?? Because there is no “folders” folder in the XAMPP/xamppfiles/var directory in the mac install. Or is there some other var folder on the drive?

Or is it that that syntax will run chmodd on all the folders in the xamppfiles/var directory?

no, it’s the /var folder, the command will change the permissions recursively (if possible) in the /var/folders directory

Right. I forgot that this is a hidden directory.

I just ran the command sudo chmod -R 777 /var/folders

Then I launched the XAMPP application manager, started up openemr, and ran the ICD-10 upload. And it worked!

Thank you very much!

One final question: Do you think it is better for OSX people to follow the procedure we’ve just worked out using the linux install, even though it is a bit more complicated?

Paul D.

Hi, Brady,

Steve Waites and I just had success with the ICD10 upload issue.

I’d be glad to update the instruction set on the wiki. I’m at a conference this weekend, so I won’t have time to do this until next week. But I’ve pretty much summarized the process, and I’ll edit that and put it all together with what’s there, clarifying any parts that seemed confusing to me.

Given that I’ve gotten this to work now with both the windows zip package and the linux tar.gz package, do you think that there are advantages (in fact or in principle) to using the linux package with Mac OSX installs, even though it requires running more commands in terminal prior to the install to set things up right?

Paul D.

Hi Paul,

That’s great news. As long as either way works, ok to choose which file(zip vs tar.gz) you want to document (I’d lean towards the tar.gz file though, but that’s since i’m more of a linux user).

-brady

Was the program originally written in Linux?

Paul

it’s written in php and sql with a lot of javascript and even some perl i believe, maybe other scripting languages too…
imho it runs nicely with the most popular LAMP stack(linux, apache, mysql, php)

the os x install could mirror the linux with just a few of these types of caveats