Patient Portal

johnbwilliams wrote on Monday, December 06, 2010:

We will be implementing an interface between OpenEMR and Microsoft HealthVault …  95% certainty.  

arnabnaha wrote on Tuesday, December 07, 2010:

Hi John…
Implementing an interface between OpenEMR and Microsoft healthvault is a good idea but that will lead to a different problem… Microsoft health vault is currently available only for the US. What will happen to patients and doctors/clinics using openemr outside US???  Any idea regarding that???

Thanks

tmccormi wrote on Wednesday, December 22, 2010:

Anybody know anything about this: http://acuportal.com/patientportal/   it appears to be from an OpenEMR vendor that has never posted or contributed.  They are listed on the http://www.openmedsoftware.org/wiki/OpenEMR_Commercial_Help wiki page, because they put themselves there…     Could be they just have not identified themselves …. ?

The just announced on LinkedIN after joining the OpenEMR group 4 days ago.

-Tony

arnabnaha wrote on Wednesday, December 22, 2010:

Hi Tony
No Idea about them…Ehrlive is trying with the patient portal as stated in one of the threads in developers forum (phpgacl improvement). Hope that can bring this feature integrated with openemr. Drupal is also a good idea if we can integrate it with openemr…

sunsetsystems wrote on Wednesday, December 22, 2010:

I think the first person to come out with a decent open source portal will get the most interest by far, for all the same reasons that we choose OpenEMR.

Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com

johnbwilliams wrote on Wednesday, December 22, 2010:

Popular open source portal:    http://indivohealth.org/

sunsetsystems wrote on Wednesday, December 22, 2010:

Tony already mentioned Indivo in this same thread.  It seems to be a PHR, not a portal.

Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com

clarification request:   difference between PHR and patient portal?

Would both PHR and patient portal deliver MU #18: Patient Electronic Access to Health Information  ?

A PHR is a standalone place for a patient to maintain his/her own health records.  A Patient Portal connects the PHR to the Providers EMR.  Google and MS Health Vault are PHR’s until someone makes a connection to an EMR (or more)….

So, any of those, given the connection (like Direct) could be meet the requirement.   In fact if the patient can send a ‘secure’ request to the provider’s EMR (or maybe even the staff) and get medical summary back securely, that would also meet the requirement in my opinion.

The requirement is “Timely Access” to patient electronic medical record online.

-Tony

Following up,  what is the minimum capability OpenEMR should implement for MU-1 to achieve “Timely Access” to patient electronic medical record via the patient’s PHR?:

1.  OpenEMR has a “button” for OpenEMR user update patient’s PHR

2.  OpenEMR is configurable for “scheduled” updates of a patient’s PHR.

3. OpenEMR provides an externally available URL that when executed by patient will causes OpenEMR to update the patient’s PHR.     

4. Other options?

John

All of those models assume an external PHR.  1 and 2 are push models and unlikely due to the possibly large number of PHR options that might exist and the vagaries.  

It seems much  more likely that an external PHR will need a connector to access OpenEMR securely (or a third party HIE) and pull the current data.   If it’s an HIE then the HIE model could be push or pull, I guess.

A portal that has direct access to the database using OpenEMR itself or a server running “beside” OpenEMR would not require either  as the data would be live.

At a minimum we need:
1)  The Practice needs to be able to say what information is available to the patient (sometimes internal notes are not meant to be seen by the patient, for instance).  That list needs to meet MU minimums
2) The Practice needs to provide the patient with login credentials, maybe in person (that’s what my doctor does)
3) The Practice hosts a very simple web portal that the patient can login and see a PDF or simple HTML report of the required MU information. -or- the patient login is to a secure web mail (like SquirellMail or RoundCube) and posts a request for info which is responded to by a auto-responder, post and new message with a PDF attachment or similar (this is what some major insurance companies do for my other business)

My thoughts
-Tony

Acuportal,com - Serigne Ndiaye says:

I have been dealing with Brad Miller (OpenEMR) to get a solution so the community can have access to the portal. He added us to site. Initially, this is a portal for profit and close code. If anyone interested for a demo please email us.  (taken from LinkedIN post).

-Tony

Tony,

Those are excellent considerations for a co-located EHR-PHR deployment model.  (I would love to see IndivoX integrated with OpenEMR in this model).

As you know we are close to integrating cloud-based Microsoft HealthVault with OpenEMR,  not because we judge HealthVault  better or worse than other PHR options, but because it is, in our opinion, the easiest to integrate, and will, in our opinion,  allow OpenEMR to meet  NIST testing requiirements for the MU objective of Timely Access to Patient Health Information (IF ANYONE BELIEVES HEALTHVAULT WILL NOT ALLOW OPENEMR TO MEET NIST TEST REQUIREMENTS,  PLEASE POST A RESPONSE)

For a cloud deployment model,  what is the minimum capability that OpenEMR should implement for achieve “Timely Access” to patient electronic medical record via the patient’s PHR?:

1. OpenEMR user clicks a button in OpenEMR and  OpenEMR update patient’s cloud-based PHR

2. OpenEMR is configurable for “scheduled” updates of a patient’s cloud-based PHR.

3. OpenEMR provides an externally available URL that,  when executed by patient,  causes OpenEMR to update the patient’s cloud-based PHR.

4. Other options?

Thanks.
John

tmccormi wrote on Thursday, December 23, 2010:

Re: http://acuportal.com/patientportal/  - Chris Lucena and I have had a chance to look at this and it looks very well done and complete.  It is not yet integrated with OpenEMR in production as far as that goes, but Serigne says they are working on that with Brady ….

Calling Brady for input on that topic.

-Tony

smndiaye wrote on Thursday, December 23, 2010:

Hello,
I am Serigne with acuPortal/AcuMedSoft.
Brady Miller sent me this link and I will to contribute from now  in getting a portal to openemr.  From what I have read so far,  there are couple possibilities to develop a patient portal. I think the easiest way will be to have a patient interface where they can login, view/edit/update their information and have access to their health records hence the meaningful use. We have a portal already ready,  however it has additional modules that would alter and have the openEMR database redesigned, so we will be will working on version that would could be integrated  along with the scope above and the database will be lightly changed

Thanks,
Serigne

anonymous wrote on Thursday, December 23, 2010:

To update everyone. I have had one of my developers working on an integrated patient portal based off of OpenEMR’s current logic. It’s about 2 weeks into the project and the patient login interface is completed. Currently he is working on the ACL group for patients to make sure that they have access only to their items and have read access to their medical record but write access to their insurance, demographics, and appointments.

Chris
www.ehrlive.com

bradymiller wrote on Thursday, December 23, 2010:

Serigne,
Very nice to see you in the forums. I’d recommend everybody try out the portal; it’s very nicely done.
-brady

arnabnaha wrote on Saturday, December 25, 2010:

Hello All…
First of all…Merry Christmas to all of you…I looked into acuportal patient portal…its really nicely done and contains all that a good patient portal should have. it will be great if this portal could be integrated into openemr….waiting for this milestone addition to openemr….this will take openemr to a long leap forward and will also clear out the meaningful use requirement…

anonymous wrote on Saturday, February 05, 2011:

We are just about complete with our patient portal. We have about another 2 weeks left in development, but it’s about ready for a test drive. We had a lot of bumps and decisions to make in order to make sure it was secure enough and didn’t limit interactivity. Anyways, for any one who is interested in taking a peak, you can test drive here: https://dev01.openemronline.com/patient

Admin User: admin
Admin Pass: pass

Patient User: john
Patient Pass: 123456

We still have a handful of touch-ups and features to finish off but they are relatively minor.

Regards,
Chris
www.ehrlive.com

aperezcrespo wrote on Saturday, February 05, 2011:

Hi,
   Just tried it and got  “Site ID is missing from session data!” 

Thanks