Pacific Northwest users & mental health use

danlcs wrote on Monday, July 20, 2009:

I’m looking at OpenEMR for use in a multi-state human service organization in the Pacific Northwest. Our main line of service that would be applicable to OpenEMR is mental (behavioral) health-- we are the county-designated mental health provider in one county and offer more general behavioral health services in several offices.

I’d be interested in corresponding with any users in the Pacific Northwest area (Washington, Oregon) and with any users in the behavioral health arena.

> Dan Evans, Seattle

cfapress wrote on Monday, July 20, 2009:

Hi Dan,

My organization focuses on behavioral health and is considering OpenEMR. We have not yet used the software for that purpose but it ought to be quite easy for us. I’ve found that the most important functions of OpenEMR for behavioral health are:  forms and prescriptions.

The forms we use are typically mandated by the State and could be converted into electronic versions in OpenEMR without too much difficulty.

Prescriptions are already handled by OpenEMR.

As with any software, OpenEMR would need some customization to suit your practice’s needs. I’d be happy to help you and discuss how OpenEMR can work with your organization especially since we’re both in the same boat.

Jason
New London, CT

danlcs wrote on Wednesday, July 22, 2009:

Jason–

Thanks for the reply. I’ll be in touch outside the forum.

> Dan

openemrhq wrote on Thursday, July 23, 2009:

Hi Dan,

We don’t have any PNW customers, but we do have a rather large mental health client in Arkansas that gave us a bit of insight into what it takes to deploy it in mental health and behavioral health environments.

Get in touch with me outside the forum and I’d be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks,
Dave Kennerson
OpenEMR HQ

sunsetsystems wrote on Thursday, July 23, 2009:

It’s generally more helpful to answer OpenEMR-related questions *inside* the forum.  :slight_smile:

Rod
www.sunsetsystems.com

bcook1000 wrote on Thursday, July 30, 2009:

I am also interested in the information on the mental health and behavioral health environment.  We are in the process of setting up a clinic in Michigan and would appreciate information about where to start with the customization.

cfapress wrote on Thursday, July 30, 2009:

Brenda,

Most customization comes in the encounter forms. While mental health practitioners might use the term ‘visit’ instead of ‘encounter’ it’s just semantics. Creating the proper forms for clinicians to complete online instead of on paper is the whole point of EMR. So that is why most of the customization happens in the forms area.

Other ways to customize OpenEMR:

* Choose a different calendar layout, I prefer the ‘Outlook’ style. This setting is per-user and can be changed in the Admin -> Users area of the software

* Choose a different theme. I prefer the style_oemr.css theme. This has to be changed programmatically by editing the file <oemr>/interface/globals.php and change this line
   $css_header = "$rootdir/themes/style_sky_blue.css";
to look like this line …
   $css_header = "$rootdir/themes/style_oemr.css";

Jason

ideaman911 wrote on Wednesday, September 02, 2009:

Folks;

My wife (and client) is a Psyche NP with the unique niche of providing house calls.  It allows her much faster and more accurate insights to the interactions of family members, especially in her child & adolescent caseload.  The House Calls is what got me involved with OpenEMR, as I needed it to be capable of stand-alone (ie no continuous web interface) but be able to maintain and do billing, which occur when she is at a "hot spot".  We use Hamachi for the VPN functions, which works very well.  We copy the prior day data to a server on our LAN to allow the biller to refer to data full-time, while she often must wait for VPN connectivity to actually do data entry, as it must occur on the "master", which Lynne has in her tablet notebook.

Some lessons learned, as she provides services at multiple locations with different fee structure at each:

a)   The ‘Superbill’ allows only a single definition ICD or CPT for a given code, so we embellish with suffix codes where an actual HCFA compatible bill (X12 or CMS 1500) will not be prepared, and create a separate section in the ‘Fee Sheet’ to list those, all loaded manually.  We use “000” codes to reflect “NoCall/NoShow” etc. for internal tracking and associated billing.  The biller, though, uses the X12 and CMS 1500 printouts directly.

b)  We also use a similar separate section (we currently use 3.0.1 in Windows and Radio Buttons, with a number of proprietary enhancements offered for CVS but not yet included there) in Fee Sheet for the G codes required for the Medicare eRx incentive.  She uses Allscripts free portal, and of course has a large percentage which require NYS specific script papers, so she does not currently use the OpenEMR prescription functions (saving duplicate entry).  I am currently working on enhancing the OpenEMR system to separate eRx from Controlled Substance (CS) and others which require paper scripts, so they can be batch processed when she gets to a printer and/or internet portal.  I want to use the same entries to OpenEMR as data, formatted to the script papers or as a keyboard emulation macro in the Allscripts which could be adapted readily to any users’ choices and forms.  My problem is I first have to learn the programming needed to achieve same ;-)  I believe Rod Roark is working some parallel for another client of his.

c)  Her use of a tablet style computer vs a conventional notebook seems to be far more comfortable for most psyche patients.  Accordingly, we would love to hear of others who have developed forms which could be used for psyche, as again my programming limits have hurt our forms generation.  She provides both therapy and prescriptive services, generally under the 908xx CPT range.

d)  Because of the repeat visit nature of Psyche care, she gets value from OpenEMR which would be denied for something like a surgical visit, as the data entry costs are distributed over multiple visits, and need be entered only once.  The cost of that entry is a "push-back" by many small providers for any EMR system.   Our experience suggests that prescription preparation and conveyance is a substantial time cost, especially in psyche care.  So its automation is a critical goal.

I can happily add more info for those interested.  Please contact me directly via below, though I will share as applicable with the forum community.  I have been away due to other demands for almost two months, for which I apologize, but will try to be better.  If you look at forums earlier than that, you will see many of my inputs.  Thanks.Folks;

My wife (and client) is a Psyche NP with the unique niche of providing house calls.  It allows her much faster and more accurate insights to the interactions of family members, especially in her child & adolescent caseload.  The House Calls is what got me involved with OpenEMR, as I needed it to be capable of stand-alone (ie no continuous web interface) but be able to maintain and do billing, which occur when she is at a "hot spot".  We use Hamachi for the VPN functions, which works very well.  We copy the prior day data to a server on our LAN to allow the biller to refer to data full-time, while she actually must wait for VPN connectivity to actually do data entry, as it must occur on the "master", which Lynne has in her tablet notebook.

Some lessons learned, as she provides services at multiple locations with different fee structure at each:

a)   The ‘Superbill’ allows only a single definition ICD or CPT for a given code, so we embellish with suffix codes where an actual HCFA compatible bill (X12 or CMS 1500) will not be prepared, and create a separate section in the ‘Fee Sheet’ to list those, all loaded manually.

b)  We use a similar separate section (we currently use 3.0.1 in Windows and Radio Buttons, with a number of proprietary enhancements offered for CVS but not yet included) in Fee Sheet for the G codes required for the Medicare eRx incentive.  She uses Allscripts free portal, and of course has a large percentage which require NYS specific script papers, so she does not currently use the OpenEMR prescription functions (saving duplicate entry).  I am currently working on enhancing the OpenEMR system to separate eRx from Controlled Substance (CS) and others which require paper scripts, so they can be batch processed when she gets to a printer and internet portal.  I want to use the same entries to OpenEMR as data, formatted to the script papers or as a macro in the Allscripts which could be adapted readily to any users’ choices and forms.  My problem is I first have to learn the programming needed to achieve same ;-)  I believe Rod Roark is working some parallel for another client of his.

c)  Her use of a tablet style computer vs a conventional notebook seems to be far more comfortable for most psyche patients.  Accordingly, we would love to hear of others who have developed forms which could be used for psyche, as again my programming limits have hurt our forms generation.  She provides both therapy and prescriptive services, generally under the 908xx CPT range.

I can happily add more info for those interested.  Please contact me directly via below, though I will share as applicable with the forum community.  I have been away due to other demands for almost two months, for which I apologize, but will try to be better.  If you look at forums earlier than that, you will see many of my inputs.  Thanks.

Joe Holzer    Idea Man
http://www.holzerent.com

ideaman911 wrote on Wednesday, September 02, 2009:

Oops - sorry for the double entry :wink:

Joe Holzer    Idea Man
http://www.holzerent.com

Hello,
Did you ever find any traction setting up for a mental health and behavioral health environment?
Best,
Mark