Ophthalmology forms help

Hello! I have been using open EMR for my ophthalmology practice and I would like to use the draw feature. But I could not draw using my iPad and apple pencil. I tried opening it in chrome and in Safari. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem is much appreciated.
Thanks a lot

The canvas festure does not work well on the ipad. In my lanes i have work stations with touch screens and i am not able to use those for drawing either. I use the draw feature with a mouse without a problem though. Firefox is the recommended browser. One thought i had was that it might work if the canvas were in a pop-out or modal covering the screen. I will experiment with this and let you know.

1 Like

Ok thanks for replying.
And how does this feature work with Microsoft surface notebooks with stylus ?

I don’t have a MS surface but the problem with drawing on the ipad has bothered me for some time so I took a look at it. It is a simple fix to implement draw on the canvases for ipad! I will include it with the next eye form iteration. There is a major overhaul on the backend to get the eye form’s giant DB table into smaller, more manageable innodb tables. I am also taking this opportunity to tweak every little thing that has irked me about the form while seeing patients so if you have any specific requests, now is a good time… I’ll upload the PR for another code review soon.

1 Like

Thanks a lot !! Please let me know when this feature gets implemented into open EMR. Eagerly waiting!

Since this is a new feature it will probably be included in 5.0.2. In the meanwhile, you can add this functionality by manually adding the changes to your local copy of openEMR. The file /interface/forms/eye_mag/js/canvasdraw.js needs to know it should listen for touch events as well as mouse events. On line 38, after the line:

ctx[zone] = document.getElementById(‘myCanvas_’+zone).getContext(“2d”);

Paste in this code:

$('#myCanvas_'+zone).on('touchstart', function(e){
    mousePressed = true;
    Draw(e.pageX - $(this).offset().left, e.pageY - $(this).offset().top, false, zone);
});

$('#myCanvas_'+zone).on('touchmove',function (e) {
    if (mousePressed) {
        e.preventDefault();
        Draw(e.pageX - $(this).offset().left, e.pageY - $(this).offset().top, true, zone);
    }
});

$('#myCanvas_'+zone).on('touchend', function (e) {
    mousePressed = false;
    cPush(zone);
});

You should now have draw capacity on the iPad. I suspect some of the other issues people had with iPad, such as menu navigation, are related to this. Please report back other iPad quirks if you run into any.

1 Like

Sure thing ,I’ll keep ypu posted . Thanks for the help and please make sure this feature is implemented in the next version of open EMR to help other non tech savy people. Cheers !