Opening New Windows

Hello Everyone.

I am a physician who worked a little bit on the OpenEMR project 8 years ago with the intent of using it in my practice. Life events got in the way of my working on it. And, I am still not using an EMR in my practice. Well, now I am ready to get back to it! And, I have a lot of ideas on how to improve OpenEMR, implementing new features that would help practices and physicians from a functional standpoint.

Nice to see that things are still thriving with OpenEMR. And, that many of the same people are still involved.

One feature that I consider essential to using any EMR is being able to view information in multiple windows. Different patients in different windows AND different data on the same patient in different windows. The ability to do this is part of what makes modern operating systems modern. If this was not an important ability for an OS, Microsoft would never have seen the need to transition from MS-DOS OS to Windows OS. I don’t know how many of you are old enough to even know what MS-DOS is!

I feel strongly that OpenEMR should have this ability. And, the utility of this feature for physicians would be strong. And, I don’t think I could use OpenEMR without this ability.

Back in 2012, I was involved in implementing this ability. Go to patient finder (which was largely my creation working with Rod Roark), there is a check box that says “Open in New Window”.

Unfortunately, when I tried the current demo, this ability was broken.

My guess is that with revamping the interface, the way that sessions are handled was changed, and thus breaking this feature.

Before, I review the code try to figure out how this why this is broken, I would like to find out from the developer community how I might approach this. How was session handling changed? Will it still be possible to implement opening in new windows? And, how might this be approached?

Thank you.

Welcome back @psoas, looks like the feature is working on both the 6.0.0(2) demo and the dev demo.

Yes, I was in error. It is working!

Apparently, when I used the newest version of Safari Browser on a Mac, the default security settings on the browser prevent opening of new windows by websites. I should have looked at that before posting about it.

1 Like