OpenEMR on Web hosting

fnv4a wrote on Tuesday, July 16, 2013:

Hello,

I’ve taken up a web hosting a/c based on cPanel and wish to install OpenEMR on the same.

Would really appreciate if I could be given some guidance on how to go about on this pls, as there’s no access to the root of the server, plus no command line.
Server is based on CentOS

Regards.

sergiors wrote on Thursday, September 05, 2013:

A shared web hosting will not work. Get a VPS instead, I assume that would be the minimal structure that is needed.

jeyasithar wrote on Thursday, September 12, 2013:

I believe that you can install openEMR to your cpanel host.
Steps:

1. Open file manager in Cpanel
  2. Select your domain’s document root in the popup (if appears). Make sure you are in your domain’s public_html folder.
  3. Upload openemr folder with all sub directories in it. You can zip and then extract it from your file manager.
  4. Now the application has been hosted in www.yourdomain.com/openemr.
  5. Next step, you have to setup your database. Go back to your cpanel -> select database wizard. It will lead you to create database, add user to it and privileges. Note down the credentials.
  6. Now open up the browser and navigate to www.yourdomain.com/openemr. It will start the installation.
  7. In database setup screen of installation, you have to select option which says “I have created the database”. Enter your database name, username and password over there.
  8. Complete further steps as you do it in your localhost.

That’s it! Your application is up and running.

blankev wrote on Thursday, September 12, 2013:

These are the correct steps, if I remember correct. What I did is make an extra directory in between. And don’t use the name OpenEMR for the next directory. Use for example “sersammed” for the directory name. For hackers it is a little bit less obvious that you are an OpenEMR website USER.

Remember to guide your webbrowser to:

www.yourdomain.com/meddir/sersammed

and Login with your own admin and pass

Good luck.

Remember, if you find some discrepancies with this explanation, SEND us your steps that need to be changed for Web C-panel installations in the OpenEMR WIKI, and if there is no WIKI page yet we might have to create one.

mahealth wrote on Thursday, September 12, 2013:

Hi

OpenEMR does work on a shared hosting account as that is how our servers are set up. If you would like to try it out, I have created a demo site at http://test.openemr.medaidinternet.net with the login details:

Username: admin
Password: pass

We currently offer Non-HIPAA compliant hosting (HIPAA compliant coming soon) for OpenEMR and if you would like more information, please feel free to contact me via our website at www.mahealthcare.net.

Kind regards

1 Like

What are the requirements for HIPAA compliant hosting? Or where can I get info on this subject?

mahealth wrote on Saturday, September 14, 2013:

We have servers set up in a HIPAA compliant datacentre, meaning that we do not have to worry about the finite detail as all the auditing, reviewing, testing, etc are done by the datacentre staff themselves, leaving us free to concentrate on other matters.

The basis requirements are:

HIPAA is an unusual law in that it makes a lot of recommendations (addressable items) and a few assertions (required items), but in the end it is up to each organization to determine for themselves what they need to do to be compliant. This creates a great deal of flexibility and also a great deal of uncertainty. In general, to be HIPAA-compliant, a web site must at a minimum ensure that all protected health information (ePHI):

*Transport Encryption: Is always encrypted as it is transmitted over the Internet
*Backup: Is never lost, i.e. should be backed up and can be recovered
*Authorization: Is only accessible by authorized personnel using unique, audited access controls
*Integrity: Is not tampered with or altered
*Storage Encryption: Should be encrypted when it is being stored or archived
*Disposal: Can be permanently disposed of when no longer needed
*Omnibus/HITECH: Is located on the web servers of a company with whom you have a HIPAA Business Associate Agreement (or it is hosted in house and those servers are properly secured per the HIPAA security rule requirements).

1 Like

fsgl wrote on Saturday, September 14, 2013:

“Unusual” is a very kind and genteel adjective for HIPAA. At best, those of us on this side of the pond would roll our eyes when the subject is brought up.

Basingstoke appears to be midway between London and Southhampton.

There does not appear to be anything about the history of your company and nor about the personnel in the “About Us” section.

mahealth wrote on Saturday, September 14, 2013:

Yes, we are based in the UK, and we are not experts on HIPAA, which is why we use HIPAA compliant datacentres on your side of the pond!

Our website is relatively new and will be updated over the next couple of weeks, but we originally began as a first aid training and medical events cover company in 2009, then expanding to workplace first aid consultancy, with MedAid Healthcare being our recent venture.

fsgl wrote on Sunday, September 15, 2013:

Read that the National Health Service’s 2005 effort to transition to EHR did not work as hoped and according to this piece, it continues to be a challenge. Mr. Kelsey is more likely to find the answer elsewhere.

What role, if any, will companies like yours play in the public system?

Is the private system sufficiently large for you to offer your new service?

jeyasithar wrote on Monday, September 16, 2013:

Thank you for the information. but please clarify me one thing, OpenEMR does not work in shared hosting or we should not make it work in shared hosting servers?

mahealth wrote on Wednesday, September 18, 2013:

Hi

Technically, OpenEMR does work in a shared hosting environment, however, from a data protection / security point of view you would not want to host it, for example, on a server that may be used by many clients where the content is not controlled.

What we provide is a dedicated server which is configured the same as a shared hosting environment, however, we have additional controls in place to ensure security of data and only OpenEMR installations are carried out on our OpenEMR servers. We also limit the number of installations per server core ensuring reliability and stability for our customers.

If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us via our website - www.mahealthcare.net

1 Like