OEMR Board Meeting - Wednesday, May 10th, 2017


(Brady Miller) #1

The is the forum thread for the next OEMR board meeting on Wednesday, May 10th, 2017


(Brady Miller) #2

Here is the Agenda for May 10, 2017 OEMR Board Meeting:

  1. Call to Order. Roll call.

  2. Approval of prior meeting minutes.
    -March 8, 2017 Board Meeting.
    -April 12, 2017 Board Meeting.

  3. Financial Report

  4. MU3 Report (ONC 2015)

  5. Unfinished Business
    -Revocation status.
    -Confirm board member (Scott Wakefield).
    -Marketing.
    -Conference outreach.
    -Raising funds.
    -Conflict of interest policy.
    -Trademarking.
    -Join OSI.

  6. New Business
    -Nominate Sherwin Gaddis to Board of Directors.
    -Coast Guard RFI

  7. Public and Community Concerns

  8. Next Board Meeting on June 14, 2017

  9. Adjourn Board Meeting


(Brady Miller) #3

btw,

here are the call in details for the board meeting:
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OEMR_Monthly_Conference_Call_Details


(Brady Miller) #4

more btw,

Prior March 8, 2017 Board Meeting minutes are here:

Prior April 12, 2017 Board Meeting minutes are pending (note this minute will be very brief since no motions were made).


(Stephen Waite) #5

###financial report
only update to financials is paypal balance up $899.95 helped by a generous $750 donation :smile: total assets now stands at $13,929.61 :money_mouth:

###reinstatement update by email from helpful attorneys

Once we were able to review the case file, this turned out to be a more
involved legal issue that I had anticipated. As such, before getting
back to you, I wanted to consult with one of my tax partners who focuses
his practice in the non-profit space.

As you know, the IRS issued a determination letter denying
re-instatement of OEMR’s non-profit status, which had previously been
revoked on account a failure to file a series of 990 annual reports.
Upon review of the matter, the IRS ultimately concluded that OEM’s
activities were not substantially devoted to furthering a permitted
tax-exempt purpose.

Based on a preliminary review of the file materials (with no additional
research), Ron indicated that there may be a basis for a further appeal
of the IRS. Ron and his team handle these sorts of appeals on a regular
basis.

Ron also indicated that he would want to take a closer look at certain
aspects of OEMR’s governance (Board composition, conflict of interest
policies, etc.). Ron stated that you can sometimes engage in a dialogue
with the IRS toward a negotiated resolution, whereby the non-profit
agrees to tweak its governance, in exchange for a favorable IRS
determination.

We would need to perform some additional research before we would be
able to formally advise OEMR on any path forward. I was going to
suggest that we perform $1,000 - $2,000 of initial research on our end
(with the amount /capped/ in all cases as $2,000), at which time we
would be able to provide more definitive advice.

As part of your decisionmaking, I did want to let you know that if OEMR
does elect to proceed with a formal IRS appeal, the cost would likely be
in the range of $5,000 - $10,000 (please note that this amount would be
inclusive of the $1,000 - $2,000 previously spent on legal research).


(Stephen Waite) #6

prior thread conflict of interest


(Brady Miller) #7

The minutes and audio for this meeting are available here:
http://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/OEMR_wiki_page#May_10.2C_2017