Migrate to Express Plus on Amazon AWS -- restore problems

I now have Express Plus running on an Amazon EC2 stack, it all looks good.

I have upgraded my local server from 4.2.2 to 5.0 and have upgraded the database and have made a 5.0-compatible backup.

Now how do I restore this backup into the EC2 OpenEMR server? I’m at a loss. I can’t even find the restore script that the github instructions refer to. (openemr-devops/packages/express_plus at master · openemr/openemr-devops · GitHub). I can’t find the backup directories either, inside or outside of docker, either. Plus, the Express instance uses Duplicity to make backups, and I’m pretty sure the internal backup script of OpenEMR isn’t. So…I’m at a loss.

If someone could walk me through the steps to get my local data into the cloud machine, well, that would be pretty doggone groovy. I can’t imagine it’s all that complex right?

Thanks!

Hi @docaltmed ,

It is just the same as any data migration for OpenEMR(if you’ve done this previously), except the additional step of having to get the backup files into the docker.

Regarding the Duplicity stuff, I’ll let @jesdynf explain that a bit (note it is not related to bringing in your external migrations, but it is good to know about for the future).

What does your current 5.0 compatible backup look like?
(ie. a sql database dump and what else do you have)

-brady

Hi, @doctalmed,

Brady’s correct; the Express Plus (and plain-old Express) backups aren’t the same thing as OpenEMR’s internal backups. Once you successfully complete an import of the non-Express data, that’s when the backup scripts become relevant.

If you review /etc/cron.daily/duplicity-backups and /root/restore.sh, you should see the process involved – one of them makes backups and sends them to the S3 bucket created when you launched Express Plus, and one of them recovers them back to your system and database.

I hope this helps!