Full screen view for documents

Has anyone developped a full screen option for the document viewer? I was thinking a popup window in full screen may be very helpful.

Modifying the CSS in the theme to increase height such as this helps:
#documents_actions iframe {
height: 830px;
}

This is good in landscape view but it clearly needs to be larger in portrait or tablet view. Tablet view is also a problem because the slider disappears to allow moving the document viewer up. So it needs to be responsive.

But then there is the pesky side panel. I am not able to quickly figure out how to turn that off. Or perhaps toggle to turn on and off the side panels would do it. I think I would need to do a little JS to enlarge the document viewer if I hide the side panel.

So I will play around with this and if any others have come up with a solution I would love to hear about it.

Hi Craig,

I’ve developed a new responsive dialog modal that may be perfect for this. I’ve just did the prescriptions and will give a popup for the documents viewer a shot. Will get back too ya.

@Craig_Tucker Is this what you had in mind?

Also for anyone interested here is new rx popup

1 Like

I could use some feedback on this feature of adding a pop out viewer in documents. Currently I have it using a modal dialog but started thinking maybe using a native window popup is a better way to go. This way more than one pop out viewer may be opened. Thoughts anyone?

That looks good. It would be nice to do the multiple screens. But that can be faked now by opening multiple document pages in the browser. If that was not required that would be a plus. For me it would be especially nice to maximize to fullscreen. The fullscreen is the most useful for me when reviewing large reports with lots of detail.

Well with the dialog it can be dragged and resized just like a window but only one document at a time where I can allow you to pop out one document and then select another document to pop out and so on. The only gotcha there is the windows will persist even if OpenEMR is closed. Or by golly could just do both ways and let user decide at use time…

In the documents pane, the tree is one the left (1/3) and selected documents show up in the right 2/3. Here smaller docs do fine but larger ones need a bigger “window” to see them adequately.
@sjpadjett When will this modal or new browser window be triggerred? When a doc link is clicked in the tree (left 1/3) or will their be something next to Download on the right, or what?

Although @Craig_Tucker wants to slide the document tree to the left to make more room, I find that a lot of times I end up downloading the document and it opens with whatever program is associated with that fileType on the device (PDF viewer, GIMP for images etc). I think separate windows would be better than a modal so more than one can be opened at once. I just thought the browser “auto” did this based on the preferences you set - eg allow FireFox to preview PDFs itself or use an associated program?

Also @sjpadjett the document you are showing is a Hearing Letter. I presume it is a dummy patient but was that letter auto-generated from form data? I am sure that there are ENTs and audiologists out there that would be thrilled to see some openEMR forms for their specialty. You are incredibly prolific and versatile!

I trigger it with a new button (Popout) with the other actions on right panel top.

It is from my Occupational Health Module I’ve been developing along with Pulmonary Function, DOT Medical cert and others…
As for documents, I think I will just pop out native windows and mime types will be handled via opening frame…

I think your pop out method is sufficient. It would be a significant improvement and make the documents more useable. I do not like downloading docs that can hangout on my machine and I have to remember to delete. So your method is more secure as well. The problem of the pop up hanging out is not so good, but I think it is more manageable then remembering to delete a doc.

Actually I don’t have to download. I take the existing frames url that has been opened in right panel viewer and open window using it(much like a web page). So you click popout button and immediately a native window pops up.
I think tomorrow I will put up both versions on my demo server so all can see or submit PR for Brady to put on docker.

Hi guys, I have not forgotten this but, I want to use a new library function for handling the windows and am waiting 'till I have that in code base. Soon though.

Until we get the modal thing worked out, here is a temporary fix in pre5.0.1 that meets your requirements by adding and overriding css values:

Edit openemr/templates/documents/general_list.html

change
<div id="documents_list">
to
<div id="documents_list" style="width:unset;padding:10px;height:unset;float:left;resize:horizontal;">

AND
change
<div id="documents_actions">
to
<div id="documents_actions" style="width:unset;float:unset;">

It is not worthy of a PR because it “breaks” the Theme styling. These changes should probably be added to each of the Themes if this is to enter the codebase. There are so many new changes in the upcoming release that I’ll leave this to the experts. For now though, these changes make the left hand documents tree resizable horizontally (from the bottom right corner) and when a doc is opened, it scales to fill the visible space on the right.

I have a PR going up today that will give about three ways to view including as many full screens as you wish. Once up @brady.miller will get on my docker to look at. I think it will meet everyone’s criteria…

edit… also, will back port

@Craig_Tucker and @rmagauran, Hi guys. Hope this will cover what we need in documents, if not, please let me know. Also should not be hard to back port to v5.0.0…

So you know, the enhancements to documents viewer is in codebase. Double clicking a left tree’s document icon will open a close to full width view of the document where you may also in turn open it full screen.Or a full screen button has been added to the right top action button groups.