Fate of unused fields in demographics records

I finally upgraded to Version 5.0.1 (3) and find that the layout of my demographics page has been totally scrambled. I am slowly resorting it to our preferred configuration.

I have found that over 20 new empty user defined lists, text, and generic value fields have been added to the form. Is it OK to just delete these? There seems to be no point in increasing the size of the database with a;; the unused fields.

I can always add in a field if I need to ad one.

Thanks,

Deleting can cause unforeseen issues when doing upgrades.

You have every right to delete anything in your instance. I would just do a complete backup before deleting any of the table columns. It is not always clear what is tied to what in the system. So, cautiously move forward.

To expand further, at least as I understand it (which may well be wrong) deleting a field from a form does not delete that column from it’s place in the database. As such, the amount of space you’re saving is probably minimal and not worth the trouble. Whatever modifications you make, however, keep notes and document them well. That way you will be able to reconstruct them if they get overwritten during an upgrade.

OK, thanks for the insight. I’ll give it a try when I have a chance to play with it.