Errors in upgrade from 4.1.2(7) to 4.2.0

lamspc wrote on Tuesday, February 10, 2015:

I amended /var/lib/dpkg/status file by removing the line with:
Config-Version: 4.1.2-1
Not surprisingly, it changed the dpkg -s openemr accordingly by omitting Config-Version: 4.1.2-1

However, the apt-get upgrade command contines to throw the same error:

$ apt-get upgrade
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information… Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Setting up openemr (4.2.0-1) …
dpkg: error processing openemr (–configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
openemr
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

I think it is a dpkg package management issue, may interfere with updates, etc

fsgl wrote on Tuesday, February 10, 2015:

Is it possible to do a manual upgrade using the Linux instructions & subsequent upgrade of multiple sites instead of using those for the Ubuntu/Debian package?

bradymiller wrote on Tuesday, February 10, 2015:

Did you try to change the line with:
to:

-brady

The main issue now is that can’t use the debian/ubuntu package installer to install/update other packages(ie. OpenEMR is not really the issue anymore and has already been successfully upgraded). This will be a good thing to learn how to deal with, since this problem will occasionally arise whenever installing debian/ubuntu packages.
-brady

Brady, I know that the Ubuntu/Debian upgrade webpage states that it is not necessary to have the Ubuntu/Debian Package installed to use the upgrade script, but it seems more logical to use the Linux upgrade with MarieDB.

Hi,

In the case where you are upgrading a native (ie. not ubuntu/debian package) OpenEMR instance, then would agree to avoid the package for upgrade when using MariaDB instead of mysql(I only say that since I don’t know what happens when mysql is installed via the required dependency and I don’t know if this will mess up already installed MariaDB).

I don’t think that scenario is pertinent in Paul’s case, though.

-brady
OpenEMR

Hi,

Agreed.

That wiki article was written after the multisite module was released mainly because there were lots of questions on the forums how to use it, upgrade it and patch it. I did it pretty quickly and it is admittedly very basic. Definitely feel free to improve it (would be nice to avoid making it version specific, though, or else will need to add to the list of wiki pages to duplicate on a new release).

-brady
OpenEMR

But Paul stated categorically that his Debian 7 server has MarieDB & Apache installed separately as noted in his other thread.

There is no reason to install a “stack” (in the Ubuntu/Debian Package) when there are existing MarieDB & Apache.

If I did not misunderstand his original post in the other thread, it would seem to be relevant.

lamspc wrote on Wednesday, February 11, 2015:

Thank you for your suggestions -
I amended /var/lib/dpkg/status file by removing the line with:
Config-Version: 4.1.2-1 and changing Status: deinstall ok half-configured
to: Status: install ok installed

I then ran apt-get upgrade - AND IT WORKED! No more error.

I think this problem arose because I had ignored an error thrown up by apt-get update prior to openemr upgrade. This error related to a missing publick key for pgp and a corresponding issue with sources.list.d. I am guessing this may have tripped the upgrade process.

I ran the same openemr upgrade on another (single site, test server), correct package update and upgrade prior to OER upgrade - this went flawlessly.

bradymiller wrote on Wednesday, February 11, 2015:

Hi,

My brain can only track details in one thread at a time :slight_smile:

If that is the case, then that is actually good news and means the mysql dependency does not get in the way of MariaDB.

-brady
OpenEMR

fsgl wrote on Wednesday, February 11, 2015:

Paul,
Great to hear that 2 minds, (Brady’s & yours) working together, got the job done.

Brady,
Very gratifying to know that the U/D package upgrade works well.

So, you really didn’t need those aspirins with the anticipated headache after the relocation of the web directory from var/www to var/html/www after all?

bradymiller wrote on Thursday, February 12, 2015:

Hi,
Dealing with the new /var/www/html default web directory was a bit rough to say the least(almost decided to scrap the package, but the debian package gods didn’t get the best of me, at least not yet…). Note that openemr still does reside in /var/www/ using alias trickery. In the end, though, it ended up making the package better.
-brady
OpenEMR