Electronic referrals

My practice is transitioning from Practice Fusion to OpenEMR, V5.0.1, linux-hosted. I am purchasing a Direct address from EMR Direct. Using the Direct address, will I be able to send electronic referrals to providers external to my practice? I’ve searched the forums, but can’t find anything definitive that indicates yes or no to electronic vs. paper referrals in the latest version of OpenEMR. Thanks much!

Hi @rbrewster,

Here’s the full link to documentation of the Direct Messaging integration into OpenEMR which leverages EMR Direct’s accredited HISP service:

https://www.open-emr.org/wiki/index.php/Direct

Our Direct addresses interoperate with all of the 1.7 Million other production Direct addresses on the DirectTrust Network. So yes, you’ll be able to send electronic referrals to providers external to your practice who also have their own Direct address on that network. You can also opt to enable exchange with other addresses, should you choose to do so (some eCW Direct addresses are outside of the accredited network).

Please note in particular the README at the end of the page at the link above; we’ll send it to you again along with some other “getting started” information in your production Direct “Welcome” email message. You’ll need this information to successfully configure your production Direct account within OpenEMR.

We look forward to working with you!
Julie

1 Like