Database Structure of OpenEMR

I have been trying to customize OPeEMR for use in Sri Lanka.
Software engineering students help us to do this.
The main issue with them is that they cannot understand the database structure of OpenEMR.
I have checked this and there has been a thread from 2009 but it had ended without giving much help.

So can someone advice where to start?

To give an example of one issue we are focusing on…
After creating a new patient and starting an encounter we can record the vitals such as weight, height, BP etc in a simple spreadsheet form for each visit
We have been trying to create a similar form for the commonly used lab investigations such as Lipid Profile, Blood Sugar, Creatinine etc.
This form is different from the other OpenEMR Forms. Our question is where and how are these created?

Thank you in advance

Kumara

dear Kumara,
you can create a new visit form using the layout function. Administration -> Layouts -> New Layout -> insert a new name of the form (whatever you like, but has to be started with LBF_) in the Layout ID, for example: LBF_Lipid_Profile.

Dear Eko

Thanks for quck reply. Will try this out.

What we really want is some thing like the VITALS form (Attached) where the data can be entered across visits (attached)

Is this possible with LBF Forms?

why you use vital form in excel? openEMR has vital visit form already. By the way, you can make a LBF form for your lipid profile like the vital form.

Eko, This is the OpenEMR vital form - this is the appearance you get when you click- Trends
This is exactly what I want for the Lab tests we regularly do.
I want on the vertical axis the tests and horizontally the dates

Cannot fins out how OpenEMR has done this as I am certain this cannot be done using LBF
Not sure whether the LBF can do the multiple entries like the above.

Lab (Orders) already maps result values vs time. That would be a good start if you want to enhance.

I think Yes you may be correct.
From where can I start creating for example a Lipid profile test where results over time can be tracked?
Unfortunately we do not yet have labs that send the results electronically…so it has to be manual entry
Thanks

Always check project wiki

I understand your frustration in getting the procedures modules to work . The documentation is sometimes old and at other times not entirely correct. This is being addressed in openEMR Version 5.0.2.

You can however take a peek on the development demo at

https://one.openemr.io/openemr/interface/login/login.php?site=default

Login in U: admin P: pass

Go to Procedures > Providers and click on the ? help icon and read through it . Do the same for Procedures > Configuration Help files.

There are substantial improvements in this version, however the basic features have not changed. The help file has been completely re-written and should give you a clear understanding of the whole process.

Once you have entered some dummy lab data for a patient you can graph it in Procedures > Lab Overview or under Labs in the main Demographics page.

Hope it helps :wink:

1 Like

Thanks mate. This looks very promising - should help.
Will give it a go - we need this functionality AAP for the University clinic.