Cannot start Docker

Funny (and annoying) thing is it works now in Firefox but not in Chrome, my preferred browser
(“This site can’t be reached - localhost refused to connect”), even after deleting cache.

After a reboot, I can no longer load openemr in Firefox either. I get “Secure Connection Failed … PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR”.

SO frustrating!

Any further help, please?

Now I am very confused.

I had understood that Apache was not necessary, in fact it could create problems, and I had uninstalled it.

Localhost on Firefox would work but not on Chrome.

I rebooted and it would not work on Firefox either.

On the off-chance I have now reinstalled Apache.

Localhost now connects on both browsers.

I am happy with this, but I would like some clarity for future reference!

Thank you.

You can use the following command to see what is listening on your ports:

sudo ss -ltpn

People, I am now beginning to pull my hair out. After another reboot, openemr no longer loads in the browser again. I feel like I’m going nowhere.

Thank you @snailwell for that command. But I do not know what to do with that information. It appears that there is nothing listening on either port 80 or port 443 (the ports specified in my docker-compose.yml file.

robert@roberts-Lenovo-B590:~$ sudo ss -ltpn
[sudo] password for robert:       
State     Recv-Q    Send-Q       Local Address:Port        Peer Address:Port    Process                                                                         
LISTEN    0         4096         127.0.0.53%lo:53               0.0.0.0:*        users:(("systemd-resolve",pid=769,fd=14))                                      
LISTEN    0         128              127.0.0.1:631              0.0.0.0:*        users:(("cupsd",pid=971,fd=8))                                                 
LISTEN    0         4096             127.0.0.1:35225            0.0.0.0:*        users:(("containerd",pid=987,fd=13))                                           
LISTEN    0         128                  [::1]:631                 [::]:*        users:(("cupsd",pid=971,fd=7))

I really need to get this working today.

Thanks.

@stephenwaite, please?

A thought, I had been in the process of restoring a backup to this installation, but became unstuck. Perhaps this has something to do with the latest inability to load openemr in the browser? I had been following the instructions here, but the command
docker exec -it $(docker ps | grep _openemr | cut -f 1 -d " ") /bin/sh
(step 9) produces this error:

robert@roberts-Lenovo-B590:~/Downloads$ docker exec -it $(docker ps | grep _openemr | cut -f 1 -d " ") /bin/sh
"docker exec" requires at least 2 arguments.
See 'docker exec --help'.

Usage:  docker exec [OPTIONS] CONTAINER COMMAND [ARG...]

Run a command in a running container

The command: docker ps by itself will show whether openemr is running or not.

@snailwell

Thank you. What is the context for this suggestion, please? How does it help me?

robert@roberts-Lenovo-B590:~$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE          COMMAND                  CREATED      STATUS         PORTS      NAMES
f0991c55a714   mariadb:10.6   "docker-entrypoint.s…"   3 days ago   Up 9 minutes   3306/tcp   openemr_mysql_1
robert@roberts-Lenovo-B590:~$

Your OpenEMR docker container doesn’t exist at all, which is why your patch issues in the other thread are biting you there too. I’m honestly not sure what you’ve done here at this point, and it still feels like you have an Apache httpd listening somewhere. I don’t know how to fix what’s going on here other than “burn everything to ground”.

Which is what I’d consider. My Lightstail script can take a fresh, unconfigured Ubuntu 20 and turn it into a running, Dockerized OpenEMR; it’s not Mint, but it sounds like you need something people can help you support more than you need a specific OS.

openemr-devops/packages/lightsail at master · openemr/openemr-devops · GitHub covers the ground – install Ubuntu 20, run the two commands in the quoted box, wait for it to finish.

@jesdynf

Thank you for your response.

Your OpenEMR docker container doesn’t exist at all

How do you see that that is the case?
Yesterday I could open openemr in my browser normally.

I’m honestly not sure what you’ve done here at this point

I have simply followed the instructions, as best as I can, that I have received in previous threads or on the openemr websites, as to installing, patching and restoring backups. On those other occasions, those instructions worked, eventually. I say “as best as I can” and “eventually” because often I find that the technical language used in the instructions is above my head. What is needed on the website for the sole practitioner like myself, are updated, foolproof, step-by-step instructions written in plain English, omitting no small detail that may seem obvious to the IT person, as to installation, patching, restoring backups.

I don’t know how to fix what’s going on here other than “burn everything to ground”.

So how do I do that safely, please.

My Lightstail script can take a fresh, unconfigured Ubuntu 20 and turn it into a running, Dockerized OpenEMR; it’s not Mint, but it sounds like you need something people can help you support more than you need a specific OS.

Thanks for the suggestion but I do not want to change my OS: I do not know what Lightstail is, I like Linux Mint, I have the docker installation running on Linux Mint on another machine, and other people here have previously recommended Linux Mint to me.

Actually, I was wrong, “docker ps” doesn’t show stopped containers, so it might still be there, just not running.

Things have progressed.

I ran docker-compose up -d again.

http://localhost/interface/login/login.php?site=default now gives a blank (white) screen with no text, nothing.

However, now, when proceeding with the backup restore

• docker exec -it $(docker ps | grep _openemr | cut -f 1 -d " ") /bin/sh
  • wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openemr/openemr/rel-502/sql_upgrade.php

follow through without any error reported:

robert@roberts-Lenovo-B590:~$ docker exec -it $(docker ps | grep _openemr | cut -f 1 -d " ") /bin/sh
/var/www/localhost/htdocs/openemr # wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/opene
mr/openemr/rel-502/sql_upgrade.php
Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (185.199.108.133:443)
saving to 'sql_upgrade.php'
sql_upgrade.php      100% |********************************|  5477  0:00:00 ETA
'sql_upgrade.php' saved
/var/www/localhost/htdocs/openemr #

Nevertheless, the next step, localhost/sql_upgrade.php, again produces a blank page.

Furthermore, if I look in /var/www/ there is no folder named ‘local host’.

It seems I am banging my head against a brick wall.

In the evident absence of any fix, please could someone tell me how to safely remove all traces of this docker installation of openemr from my computer?

I have some urgency.

Thank you.

Given that I have not received a response, I wiped the disk clean and reinstalled Linux Mint 21. Then I followed the instructions here except I got the up-to-date docker image from here. docker-compose up -d ran without error (see below). But both http://localhost and http://localhost/interface/login/login.php?site=default give “Problem loading page. The connection was reset. The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading”. This docker installation is not so super simple as it is supposed to be. It is quite demoralising. Please help. I will pay if necessary.

robert@robert-Lenovo-B590:~/openemr$ docker-compose up -d
Creating network "openemr_default" with the default driver
Creating volume "openemr_logvolume01" with default driver
Creating volume "openemr_sitevolume" with default driver
Creating volume "openemr_databasevolume" with default driver
Pulling mysql (mariadb:10.6)...
10.6: Pulling from library/mariadb
3b65ec22a9e9: Pull complete
d19669910bc0: Pull complete
8c46f5717c58: Pull complete
ea0278d54bb3: Pull complete
b80813ba5cb6: Pull complete
7fc4ac948168: Pull complete
d65facec905d: Pull complete
c5763bd0e9dc: Pull complete
7ce50f319e47: Pull complete
7cf22e53975d: Pull complete
53b47f74b397: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:e78a7000d93b2fabc0bfb6ff1504199f2f9bfb4a8b7350922c08dabf2b2bdbea
Pulling openemr (openemr/openemr:7.0.0)...
7.0.0: Pulling from openemr/openemr
ab6db1bc80d0: Pull complete
8464f6e2adde: Pull complete
84c3cee08360: Pull complete
370a6e104c0a: Pull complete
fb54f92c3495: Pull complete
3a16e8773e9d: Pull complete
8f37b0ae95bd: Pull complete
4f4fb700ef54: Pull complete
754fb4626a9c: Pull complete
38877fce6c1f: Pull complete
938fc725ae12: Pull complete
a1240429eb14: Pull complete
d07f74c79ca7: Pull complete
4cee6b792a31: Pull complete
cce7a64cf2cf: Pull complete
16137d760279: Pull complete
9140102a61c6: Pull complete
Digest: sha256:db9b36fb58c5dfcc063fd0730f6d8b694080360c3d3eb4e976f690ad2d68e305
Creating openemr_mysql_1 ... done
Creating openemr_openemr_1 ... done
robert@robert-Lenovo-B590:~/openemr$

usually takes 5 to 10 minutes to load, to check on it use
docker ps
docker logs <openemr container id>

Thank you. I am now able to open openemr in my browser (Firefox).

Now please could you confirm that the instructions you gave me here are still good to restore my backup?

Secondly, I am puzzled by this: The docker-compose.yml file states that the site is at /var/www/localhost/htdocs/openemr/sites but there is no /var/www directory. Why is this?

mostly, would add steps 6.5 to drop and recreate database:
mysql -uroot -proot
then at the mysql prompt
drop database openemr
create database openemr
then exit back to maria shell and proceed with step 7
step 10 is now
wget https://github.com/openemr/openemr/blob/rel-700/sql_upgrade.php

/var/www/localhost is the web server filesystem in the docker

I have followed those instructions, inserting the above steps between steps 6 and 7, and changing step 10 as indicated.

http://localhost now gives me a blank white screen, no text or anything else.

Bring over your documents like you did later on in the aforementioned thread since you’ll need the keys for the db.

I have brought over my documents. http://localhost still just produces a blank screen.