Can i clone an OSX OpenEMR installation to another machine?

I’m playing with an OpenEMR installation on my laptop, prior to installing it on the production server. I’m using a mac running El Capitan level OS. Once I have everything formatted to my satisfaction, can I clone it to the production server simply by copying the XAMPP folder from the laptop’s user’s Applications folder to the other machine’s user’s Applications folder?

Hi @sourdoughpablo ,

This works on windows(it is basically how we build the windows
xampp-openemr package) so I expect it will work fine on mac. Couple things:

1. Ensure turn off the services (such as mysql, apache) before doing the
    copy.
  2. It’s easiest when the path does not change (this is why we recommend
    installing on c:/ path for windows package). If do change the path, then
    there is a xampp script that needs to be run (I can’t recall it now, but
    should be able to look that up).

let us know how it goes,
-brady

Fun trying it, but it didn’t work. Some shadowed folder items were not duplicated with the transfer, and the OSX application manager would not launch. “No cpu file found” or something like that . . .

Hi,

That’s a bummer; would be really nice to have an easy to install package on OSX. On windows, there are 2 xampp packages offered from xampp, a executable install and a zip package. The executable package installs it in registry etc., and so can’t really copy it across systems either. But the zip package is neat because you just unpackage it and it will work without needing to register it(this is the one we used to create the OpenEMR/xampp package). I looked at the Mac packages and they only offer the binary, which I am guessing does registry install stuff, which is why likely can’t migrate it.

-brady
OpenEMR

This is how I migrate installs when the backup/restore method is not an alternative.

From your laptop:
Export your MySQL to an SQL File via phpmyadmin. Select Custom. Under Create Object Options deselect Add Create Database and Add Drop Table.
TAR edi era documents images LBF letter_templates from openemr/sites/default. Exclude sqlconf.php.

New Server
Install XAMPP .
Install webmin (http://www.webmin.com/osx.html)
Do a regular OpenEMR install on the Server.
From Webmin
Drop all tables in the openemr database. Do not Drop the Database. This will save MySQL permissions created during install of OpenEMR.
From Webmin execute the SQL File.

Extract the TAR files into openemr/sites/default.
Check the permissions on the extracted Folders.
Do not use the sqlconf.php from your old install.
You now have a new install with imported data and new security on a New Box.
Hope this helps.

1 Like