BIG issue with Fee Sheet, Record Payment windows

Situation
If you Void Checkout and reopen a Fee Sheet record, the copay disappears from the Fee sheet and the Record Payment screen. But still shows up on the Ledger as a payment. Re-entering the payment on the Fee sheet or Record Payments screen creates a duplicate payment in the ledger.

Voiding and Reopening a bill on the fee sheet should NOT remove the applied payment or copay to the encounter.

I still have version 6.0.0.4 in the openemr_bk directory and this behavior does NOT happen in 6.0.0.4 when I repeat the steps listed above in 6.1

My billers are starting to hate me! Help!

OpenEMR Version
I’m using OpenEMR version 6.1

Browser:
I’m using: Doesn’t Matter

Operating System
I’m using: Doesn’t Matter

Logs
Did you check the logs? not yet
Was there anything pertinent in them?
Please paste them here (surround with three backticks (```) for readability.
You can also turn on User Debugging under Administration->Globals->Logging User Debugging Options=>All

hi @Mark_Sarnov , reopened this issue

Ye Gods! I’m gonna cry… so the change is not a bug, but a feature? And the bug was in 6.0.0 all along?
Live and learn.
Thank you!

Most of the time when we “void and reopen” it’s BECAUSE the copay was entered incorrectly by the front office, so I’d be curious to know the best practice for handling that if voiding wouldn’t remove it.

As you mentioned, the incorrect payment hangs around in the ledger after a void (bug, IMO), so we have to go through the unintuitive process of Fees->Batch Payments->Search Payment->Delete to reconcile.

In my opinion, there is an impedance mismatch between the billing manager, fee sheet, and checkout functions, that I imagine would take a significant effort to fix.

you can delete the copay in the invoice

ledger issue is a bug, not checking that it’s mark as deleted in the ar_activity table.

fixed that bug and will have the PR up soon

You mean the Select 'Delete' checkbox, click 'Refresh', check for strikethrough, click 'Save' convolution? That has never worked for us with any 6.x version. And would probably require the fee sheet to be open (which it isn’t after checkout).

“impedance mismatch”… OHMigod.

1 Like

from the billing view of past encounters

1 Like

Probably more accurate to say “code-level design and functional differences between the components”, but combined they certainly present a measure of resistance to our preferred workflow.

1 Like

Fixed this up in master and will bring back to rel-610 for the first patch.

1 Like

Tried using the master new.php in my current setup: here is the error (Logging enabled)

This error is thrown when clicking on the “ReOpen” button at the bottom of the Fee Sheet on a billed encounter.

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method OpenEMR\Billing\BillingUtilities::reOpenEncounterForBilling() in /var/www/html/openemr/interface/forms/fee_sheet/new.php:613 Stack trace: #0 {main} thrown in /var/www/html/openemr/interface/forms/fee_sheet/new.php on line 613

hi @Mark_Sarnov , you’ll also need the changes to globals.inc.php and BillingUtilities.php from the commit and turn the setting off in Admin->Globals->Billing

1 Like

Thanks again. I pulled the respective files from GitHub and replaced the old ones after backing them up. Looks ok thus far…

And if it isn’t too much to ask, instead of a checkbox next to each line on the fee sheet, can’t it just be a [DELETE] button instead?

and… instead of [SAVE], it might make more sense to have a [CONFIRM/CLOSE] which would commit what is on the screen to the patient account. That would make the [REOPEN] button clearer in it’s purpose.

Just a suggestion! :smiley: