Backups are not downloading

bradymiller wrote on Saturday, September 22, 2012:

Hi rdh61,
What OpenEMR version are you using? (that line should be there in 4.1.1)
-brady
OpenEMR

rdh61 wrote on Saturday, September 22, 2012:

Ah… yes.

I’m using 4.1.0-1.

I should have looked at that to begin with, shouldn’t I? Sorry to cause confusion.

nursejeff wrote on Sunday, September 23, 2012:

Hi Brady,

Under Administration -> Backup -> I click on “Create Backup”, it starts stating “Dumping OpenEMR database…”, it takes approx. 1 min, then it states  “Dumping OpenEMR web directory tree…”, it stated one more message very quickly then the “File not found” error box pops up stating “Firefox can’t find the file at https://myserver/openemr/interface/main/backup.php.

At this point a new file has been made under:  /tmp/openemr_web_backup/emr_backup which is 1928MB in size named openemr.tar.gz and openemr.sql.gz which is 6MB in size.

Jeff Guillory

bradymiller wrote on Monday, September 24, 2012:

Hi Jeff,

On Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS, was able to do that backup successfully, which had following with following filesizes:
/tmp/openemr_web_backup/emr_backup/openemr.sql.gz  (154 MB)
/tmp/openemr_web_backup/emr_backup/openemr.tar.gz (2.5 GB)
(The downloaded file was 2.6 GB)

Note that the step where yours is breaking appears to be where the following file is created:
/tmp/openemr_web_backup/emr_backup.tar (which is basically the two files above archived together)

Are you seeing the emr_backup.tar file?
Note it could be something as simple as running out of disk space, since it is breaking at the place where it needs to build the main archive which essentially quickly doubles the hard disk usage (so, in your case about 4GB is used during the backup). Can follow disk space usage with the ‘df -h’ command.

-brady
OpenEMR

nursejeff wrote on Wednesday, September 26, 2012:

Yes Brady, I am seeing an emr_backup.tar file under tmp/openemr_web_backup.  It is 1966MB.

How and where do I add the ‘df -h’ command.

Jeff

bradymiller wrote on Thursday, September 27, 2012:

Hi,

Just type it in the terminal (command line):
df -h

However, this will unlikely be the issue since it appears your emr_backup.tar file is there and is the proper size. So, your backup appears to be completing, but is not downloading it to the user. What operating system are you using? May make sense to turn off any virus/spyware/popup software on the computer that you are browsing from also.

-brady
OpenEMR

fsgl wrote on Thursday, February 07, 2013:

After getting a blue screen of death, backup restored with built-in tool.  First attempt at backup showed downloading not completed in the Firefox download dialog box.  Subsequently got the same error as Jeff.  Using v.4.1.1 patch 9 so the set_time _limit (0); code was in place. Turning off Avast Web Shield did not fix the problem.  Work-around: created a shortcut to the C:Windows/Temp/EMR backup folder.  Copy the .tar file to SD card instead of the Download folder as we usually do. Deleted the .tar file as we usually do.  The additional step is deleting the folder with the openemr.sql.gz and openemr.tar.gz files.  This is a temporary solution until a real fix or until we find a more solid method of backup that does not involve the use of command prompt.

fsgl wrote on Saturday, August 24, 2013:

Download problem resolved with re-install of newer version of Apache.

fsgl wrote on Tuesday, November 19, 2013:

Same download problem recurred.

Went to XAMPP Control, turned off and un-installed Apache; then re-installed and turned Apache back on. Worked for one day only.

Php error log today:

1. maximum execution time of 60 seconds exceeded.
  2. allowed memory size exceeded.

Confirms what Tony McCormick noted above. If the backup file gets too big, it won’t be downloaded.

It’s back to copying from the Windows temporary folder. Not a big deal because we have redundancy with CVerk’s backup script.