Add Lab Result (Procedure Result) Through DB Insert POC

Been doing a quick POC to see if it would be possible with the stock docker image of OpenEMR to manually insert a Procedure / Result into a patient chart through a DB insert?

Can someone provide me what this insert may look like? Looks like the tables involved may be (Provided you’ve added your compendiums, patient, and encounter already)

• forms
  • procedure_order
  • procedure_report
  • procedure_result

I’ve had some minor luck with this - as they results show up when i try to trend them, but the ones manually entered to not appear on the ‘Patient Results’ section of Procedures drop down.

I would recommend not inserting lab results straight to the DB, instead using the mechanisms already in place to ingest an HL7 message with the results

Can you point me anywhere that explains how to do this clearly? All i have seen are generic diagrams involving Mirth but nothing that explains where an endpoint to consume messages would exist or a specification.

Hm, I thought it could be done without a Morth connection. @stephenwaite thoughts? I know we can push data via SFTP, but can that data be consumed?

I’m fine with Mirth, as I am actually using that to send the data to the OpenEMR database at this point but it’s doing database writes (that’s my original question) but if there is a better way for the data to be sent into OpenEMR I’d prefer that, especially if it’s with an HL7 transaction.

you can set up an hl7 provider under Procedures->Providers, results only or bidirectional, and then import with Procedures->Electronic reports

Oh! Perfect. I got this working now. Lab data is coming in.

While I have you, is there something similar for patient registrations, except automatic export? Or is this something that you’d suggest I read from DB, or create a trigger on patient_data to export new patients?

there’s no ADT support if that’s what you mean, FHIR has been used to bring in patients though

Thanks Stephen.

I have everything working that I needed to get done for this proof of concept. Appreciate the help.

2 Likes

Hi Stephen,

I have the same kind of issue where I want to extract ADT messages from openEMR.

Is it possible to extract ADT messages? If yes please guide me how to do that.

How to configure Mirth with openEMR to transfer the data (ADT messages) from openEMR to Mirth.

Thanks in advance.

hi @Prem_HL7, would reach out to @gibson9583, who was successful in their attempt.

Hi @gibson9583,
Am looking to get ADT message from open emr using mirth integration… can u please guide me?
@Prem_HL7 you got any update on this?