Adding an external Lab

I know of this solution listed below,

But I’m in Nigeria and I don’t think those Lab service provider will work for me so do I have to go into programming to achieve this. What do I have to do?

What kind of lab system is it?

Lab system of the receiver? Just as u order procedure order for the internal lab, how to external lab receive those orders, put in the result so the ordering hospital can see

What is the model of the lab system? (sorry for my delayed reply)

Hello nzube,

It is possible to integrate your receiver lab systems with openEMR with some code customization like custom API Calls and some UI changes.
We can provide you with more insights if you could share the following details ?
1.What is the software that your receiver lab system uses ?
2.what kind of data that you need to share with the labs?

Thanks,
ViSolve

Hello visolve,
I am having this type of issue as nzube but for my case the lab is using BikaHealth (the Bika LIMS for medical based labs). It is just analysis request (procedure order).

Thanks
Elijah_Wisdom

Mindray BC-5300 Auto Hematology Analyzer, Minday BS-120 chemistry analyzer, MAGLUMI 1000

Mindray BC-5300 Auto Hematology Analyzer, Minday BS-120 chemistry analyzer, MAGLUMI 1000

Also i’m reading about open source Laboratory information system like OpenELIS and C4G BLIS.

which part do there play in all this

Dear all, please how can i achieve this, i only want to connect Mindray BC-5300 Auto Hematology Analyzer for FBC procedure. the result from this procedure is many thereby increasing the chance of human error when they manually type the result.

@visolveemr, @brady.miller @MatthewVita please help

Sorry for the delay.

What is the software that your receiver lab system uses?

Also, please review the following:

Note the OpenEMR version is a tad older in these examples, but you can find the same screens with a bit of looking around.

Hello @nzube,

We have few questions:

How the analyzer will give you the results ?

Does the analyzer have any software to show the results?

Thanks,
ViSolve

Hello @visolveemr

(1) i would like the analyzer to send the result to openemr, but since i don’t know what is obtainable, kindly let me know other options analyzers sends result so i can choose from it.

(2) Yes. the analyzer has a software and its connected to a pc which shows the result and it can be printed.

Thanks

Hello @MatthewVita the software name is still the analyzer name which is Mindray BC-5300 Auto Hematology Analyzer running in windows

Hello @nzube,

We have some ideas to meet your requirements:

Check how the software reads/stores the processed results from the analyzer.If there is any databases to store those results then there may be chances to send the results to OpenEMR.

If the application has any option to export those results.You need OpenEMR code level changes to include those results.

Thanks,
ViSolve

1 Like

Hello @visolveemr,

Thank you for your swift response, i checked, the software can export. i also checked for the database.
How do i achieve OpenEMR code level change?

Thanks

Hello nzube,

You may export those results as a file(excel,csv) and customize OpenEMR code level to read the file and store those results in OpenEMR database.

Additionally,You may add new UI screen in OpenEMR to display the stored results. It will be more helpful to analyse the results.

Thanks,
ViSolve

Thanks @visolveemr but the major challenge will be doing all this you mentioned. What skills is required to achieve this. Is there any wiki file on it?

Hello nzube,

Assuming the results of your analyzer is in csv format. You can try the following approach:
1.Create a table with the corresponding fields in OpenEMR.(Please be sure that fields in csv file should match the fields you have created)
2.Administration->Other->Database option allows you to import the file. Click on the new table_name you have created. Select Import option and choose the csv file to import. The data will be imported to the table.
3. If needed, you can create your own UI to display the results.

Thanks,
ViSolve